CLutch rattle .. Dangerous??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CLutch rattle .. Dangerous??

I get a rattle sound that I thought was loose valves and since I was due a valve check and my valve cover gasket leaked like a sieve I went ahead and checked valves and had one tight valve out of 16 and adjusted it. I poked at the cam chain and it seemed find. The noise primary comes only at a certain RPM and really only in one gear that I can hear and from the right hand side of the engine.

Been reading all morning about Cam chain tensioner but after listening to some you tube vids and doing more research .. I dont think that is the problem and have arrived at clutch rattle

Bike has about 31,000miles.

So0oooo The bike runs like a raped ape. I took it out twice this week and ran it up and down some fair inclines like I stole it running around at 7 and 8000 rpm.

Is the clutch rattle something I need to start tearing the bike down for or is it one of its old endearing qualities I can learn to live with until I have to do clutch work?

It's rare but not unprecedented to have a clutch basket come apart. Broken hub springs and/or the back plate are known to occur if the bike is run hard enough. I suspect you won't have any problems if you just run the street, but if you drag race, a HD basket and back plate would be a good investment.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank you ed!for the most part the bike never goes over 5200 rpm. There is an occasional burst but most of it's life it tools around at 55mph.
      Alex

Comment

Might want to look on the other side of the engine, too.

Starter clutches tend to rattle when they get loose.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Might want to look on the other side of the engine, too.

Starter clutches tend to rattle when they get loose.

Cool ...I will take a look tomorrow. I am pretty sure it's coming from the right side as I was sure I would find the valves at "4" way out of whack and was a little surprised when they werent. Having said that I haven't looked at the starter clutch at all since I ran the wires for the new stator. Could even be the cover?
          Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2019, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Not so sure about the cover. There are three screws that hold the starter clutch to the back of the rotor (flywheel), they have been known to come loose, allowing the whole starter assembly to rattle. The (short) screws will also come completely out of their holes, sometimes causing a bit of damage. Not usually fatal, but damage nonetheless.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This sounds like obvious noob stuff but a dirty or otherwise not properly lubed chain will make all kinds of racket that sounds like something else
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Yesterday while searching through threads I came across words of wisdom that I desperately want to try and let seep in.

I think it was bwringer(sp)

"you can just keep fixing it until its broken"

I thought ... brilliant. I want to figure out what it is but .. I dont want to be "that guy" Bike runs awesome .. maybe I should be happy and just ride it. I dont want to ignore a real problem but ... I dont want to keep "fixing" it until I break it either.

Comment

Working...
                X