GPS Speedometer-anyone have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS Speedometer-anyone have one?

I have been using a SIGMA bike speedometer on my 1981 GS850G for years as I got tired of multiple speedo failures. (Looks don't matter, you would understand if you ever saw me). I see these GPS speedos that operate by mystical rays from outer space. My Garmin GPS has seemed to give accurate readings on both the bike & in car. For $60, it seems like a hassle free way to have a speedo with a sweeping needle tho the ODO would be a liar. SO could keep the bicycle speedo on for ODO/Trip use.

Wondering if anyone has tried one of these & has an opinion. Remember, keeping things stock & all that not of any importance, after all I have a BICYCLE speedometer AND a jiggling dashboard zombie named Arful next to it on the dashboard of my fairing.

Here's a link to one.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/85mm-Black-GPS-Speedometer-Gauge-0-160MPH-for-Car-Truck-Motorcycle-ATV-US-STOCK/142463052966?epid=22015377073&hash=item212b75aca6: g:LtMAAOSw6hZcg6jk

Thanks,

DH
    Rides ROADKILL-1981 GS850G, very slowly these days.

I hope their product is better than their English skills.

Or maybe the instructions are simply written in Chinglish.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm willing to bet that if it works at all, it probably won't work very well all the time or won't work for as long as you like. The build quality almost certainly will leave something to be desired.

Says its waterproof but the 4x2 pin header on the back begs to differ.

I would probably buy a $15 handlebar mounted phone holder, stick my phone in it, and queue up a GPS speedometer app.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
        I'm willing to bet that if it works at all, it probably won't work very well all the time or won't work for as long as you like. The build quality almost certainly will leave something to be desired.

Says its waterproof but the 4x2 pin header on the back begs to differ.

I would probably buy a $15 handlebar mounted phone holder, stick my phone in it, and queue up a GPS speedometer app.
        Thanks Steve & eil. As to the language, I am working on 2 theories. First is they use computer translation software. Or could it be that they could write in perfect english but figure we expect pigeon english from Chinese folk and don,t want to disappoint our biases. I grew up when goods from Japan were considered nothing but garbage and we looked for "Made in Japan" labels as a sign of products we wouldn't want to buy. Times have changed there. Or, maybe they ask in the plant, "Hey, Lee watched a documentary about th US last week. He must speak english pretty well. He can wrte the instructions!"

Well either way the vast majority of the reviews I read give positive feedback but wondering if anyone on the forum has personal experience with this type of speedo.

As to the phone issue, I can barely cope with the technology of my AARP inspired flip phone which I only use for phone calls and rare texts, so that won't work in this case.
        Thanks again, anyone else used one?

DH

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post

I doubt there's a handlebar-mounted smartphone holder anywhere that would eliminate my apprehension about losing my phone at highway speed after a good hard bump. Not to say they aren't reliable, and would probably withstand much worse than what I would ever dish out; I would just never be at ease with it.

I've used the dashboard-mounted (certainly not waterproof -- for autos, not bikes) digital GPS's before -- the kind that reflect off the dash (so-called HUD) -- and other than a slow update rate, they performed perfectly, even in summer heat + greenhouse effect. They obtain a GPS lock a bunch faster than my Garmins do. Oddly enough, they allow for calibration +/- about 8 percent. (How can that be??) So I calibrated mine against a Garmin, and then ran them both at the same time -- and the little Chinese product held up fine.

I've since switched to a OBD equivalent, and it's been in operation over a year now, in blistering heat & bitter cold, and does its job perfectly. If the unit you linked to performs similarly, you'd probably be happy. It's a little more than 'WTH' money, but if it gets good legitimate reviews, I would probably give it a try.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
            I doubt there's a handlebar-mounted smartphone holder anywhere that would eliminate my apprehension about losing my phone at highway speed after a good hard bump. Not to say they aren't reliable, and would probably withstand much worse than what I would ever dish out; I would just never be at ease with it.

I've used the dashboard-mounted (certainly not waterproof -- for autos, not bikes) digital GPS's before -- the kind that reflect off the dash (so-called HUD) -- and other than a slow update rate, they performed perfectly, even in summer heat + greenhouse effect. They obtain a GPS lock a bunch faster than my Garmins do. Oddly enough, they allow for calibration +/- about 8 percent. (How can that be??) So I calibrated mine against a Garmin, and then ran them both at the same time -- and the little Chinese product held up fine.

I've since switched to a OBD equivalent, and it's been in operation over a year now, in blistering heat & bitter cold, and does its job perfectly. If the unit you linked to performs similarly, you'd probably be happy. It's a little more than 'WTH' money, but if it gets good legitimate reviews, I would probably give it a try.
            Thanks Robert, decided to take the plunge, made an accepted offer for $55 w/shipping. Have to make an adapter ring but have the right size hole saws to do it.
            Appreciate your input.
            DH

Comment

Report back!

Not as good as a REAL needle moving in a REAL clockface, but I seem to collect old Garmins. ... On a lot of these, you just tap the "speed" that shows in it's little box and a full-screen speedometer shows up! Tripmeter too. some are better than others per display clarity and Sure, outside, screen reflection is a nuisance but on a good adjustable mount you can sometimes move them to the right place....

Comment

Working...
              X