Cylinder Head Nut's Washer ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder Head Nut's Washer ...

The four chrome cylinder head acorn (my term?) nuts have what appears to be a copper washer beneath it. Can someone tell me why it isn't a "standard" washer? Just Curious ...
    GS550T 1981
    GS850G 1983
    GS650G 1982
    GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Oil flows up around those studs to get to the cylinder head, the copper washers are seals.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

"Seal", "gasket", whatever you want to call it, yes, it keeps the oil inside the engine.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, my day is complete and now I know! Thanks for the quick replies!
        GS550T 1981
        GS850G 1983
        GS650G 1982

Comment

And now for the REST of the story.

Oil comes up around the two rear studs. That is why you have an oval o-ring around them at the base gasket. Oil travels up around the stud through the cylinders. When it gets to the head, there is an angled passage that takes it to another passage that runs under the intake cam bearings. There is also a passage in the head that leads to a similar cam bearing feed for the exhaust cam bearings. All those passages also go around the two outer studs on each side, so they need the sealing of the copper washer. It's pretty much like the copper crush washers in the brake line banjo fittings.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you are putting old ones back, check they aren't too deformed.
            It's copper but there are limits
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The old copper washers were in great shape, I cleaned them off and put them back in place. Thanks again to all. I have only done a partial teardown of one of my bike engines and learned a bit from that. I think I'll keep my eyes open for one that someone is getting rid of (cheap) and will take it completely apart to see what I can learn/understand from seeing inside.

On the subject of brake line banjo bolt copper washers, I've bought new break lines recently that came with new bolts and washers. I don't recall them being obvious copper coloured (Canadian spelling) washers. Could they be using something else? And (the bonus question) is there a difference between copper crush and copper washers or are they one in the same?
              GS550T 1981
              GS850G 1983
              GS650G 1982

Comment

There are flat, rectangular section, solid washers like what you have on the bike and there are rolled round section I would call a crush washer.
                Different people probably call them different things.
                Unfortunately, like anything else these days, more and more parts are manufactured down to a price. They could be anything. Aluminium in particular is used a bit to replace the traditional copper.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Your silver coloured washers with the brake line components are aluminium crush washers. Aluminium because the tightening torques on line fittings are low.
                  They should only be used once - in theory.

Comment

If you re-use copper washers, especially for brake lines, re-anneal them by heating them up in a gas flame and quenching them in water.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      If you re-use copper washers, especially for brake lines, re-anneal them by heating them up in a gas flame and quenching them in water.
                      This is very useful and informative. I am/was not familiar with the term anneal and so ... I did a bit of interneting 101 and went to this link to learn more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_(metallurgy)
                      I think I would have done better in school (not that I did bad) if we would have had practical projects to learn from like working on these old bikes. I've learned a lot here - thanks again!

I'll toss out another question here, I am having a bit of difficulty getting the oil plug/drain bolt to seal on one of my bikes. Is a copper washer or crush type a good option here or is there a rubber synthetic seal system/washer out there that is recommended?
                      GS550T 1981
                      GS850G 1983
                      GS650G 1982

Comment

This is what you need for the oil pan bolt - it's essentially a crush washer but called gasket:

From Parts Outlaw
                        GASKET
                        09168-14004
                        $1.05
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                        X