1977 750 front brake rebuild shenanigans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 750 front brake rebuild shenanigans

1977 GS750 - single disc, wire wheel, of course.

Anyone know of a secret to getting the rubber piston sealing boot in to the caliper body and around the lip which it fits around ? Is there a rebuild thread somewhere in the forum? Thanks

or maybe this one:

found at the link below my signature. your caliper may be different that the one in the tutorial but the principle should be the same. This is from BikeCliff's website. Link is below my signature. Lots of great stuff there. Check it out.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

yes, there's a pretty good description in that pdf...it's a bear, I remember that. ... it might not be so clear that the boot is being settled into into the caliper first before pushing the piston in...then, it's not hard to sort the piston's lip of the boot with something that won't tear the boot.

Comment

Thank you for that fellow GS-ers. Unfortunately I broke my collarbone on Labour Day Saturday and am still recuperating, so haven't had a chance to get around to cracking on with the job.

And yes, the collarbone mishap did involve riding a motorcycle.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2020, 08:14 PM.

Comment

You know I messed about with those on my ‘78 for HOURS. It was simply maddening....so I quit and drank a nice dark beer while i thought it over....here’s what i concluded after my 2nd bottle: the caliper body is aluminum, the boot retainer obviously steel, maybe its just pressed in? And with a very thin blade screw driver it popped right out, no drama. Work the boot over that lip and press the ring back into the caliper. Then work the other end over the piston and side the piston in.
          1978 GS750E (barn find and current project)
          1997 Electra Glide
          1983 Goldwing

Comment

Working...
          X