Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side cover post replacement - whats the latest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side cover post replacement - whats the latest?

Last time I asked I got a suggestion of this for Hondas which seem to be the wrong size diameter for our machines. https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/86/136689....plus $20 for 2 posts and and $9 shipping makes the cheapskate in my cringe.

Is anyone doing a solution that will work for us?

For my personal repair, I'm 3d printing a post of ABS to mate to the ABS side panel https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...one&highlight=

It will be modified to accept a hairpin clip in the back to help retain it and prevent (hopefully) theft. So I'm wondering as I develop this how much effort to make it available to others to either print out them selves or at a lower price that the Hoda solution above. I'll likely make it avail to others at some point anyway and if there is current interest, I'm more likely to be diligent on this and document it as a tutorial as I glue mine on.

Thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andy
    505-304-5306

(the Orange is prototype material)
    Last edited by Andrew Vanis; 10-03-2019, 12:02 PM.
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Not being all that impressed by posts that snapped off in normal use, I replaced mine with Dzus fasteners.
    The bonus, apart from never flying off, is that thieves see them and realise the covers aren't worth stealing as they'll not fit their bike or be worth selling on.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      Not being all that impressed by posts that snapped off in normal use, I replaced mine with Dzus fasteners.
      The bonus, apart from never flying off, is that thieves see them and realise the covers aren't worth stealing as they'll not fit their bike or be worth selling on.
      Looks like a stout solution. What does that modification process look like?
      1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
      1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
      1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

You can shape a piece of aluminum angle (yes it works great even though flat if you put the shape in) & glue it to the back with epoxy. Drill holes in the base part to help it bond.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'm 3d printing a post of ABS to mate to the ABS side panel
          wow- good for you out there on the bleeding edge,Andrew. I'm back here in my cave carving them out of JBWeld..which works suprising well ..you've inspired but only insofar as I can visualize a wax mold for..sigh- you guessed it! JBweld.

an internal "rebar" of metalrod or fine screen (coffee or fuel filter) too perhaps.
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-06-2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            You can shape a piece of aluminum angle (yes it works great even though flat if you put the shape in) & glue it to the back with epoxy.
            Bought covers that were repaired that way. The 'shape' usually looks like an arrow head. Worked well enough.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I would think a 3D printed piece would benefit from the same... Print a plate with holes in at the bottom of the "mushroom" so that the fixing to the cover can be stronger, that's where they always break after all.

I'd also try to add as much material as possible into the bottom section & make sure there are no sharp corners, radii are your friend

Neat project if you've got access to the kit. I have solidworks but no printer...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I've printed a lot of ABS, and I'd be worried about the strength of it in that application. The printed ABS won't be as strong as the original cast part. Maybe you could run an M4 screw through it to strengthen it. A PC-ABS blend might be strong enough. The aluminum angle sounds strongest to me. Maybe epoxy a printed head onto it to make a better fit in the grommet?
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

gave it a go in its simplest form and works well...and if it breaks, I'll glue another.

made them avail on flea bay at $5 https://www.ebay.com/itm/suzuki-gs-s...s/184003641565

if a GSR person wants some they are direct sale discount at $4 (add'l discount for quantity) for and flat $4 shipping to the USA (by the time one gets an envelope and pays postage it adds up to more than the item....I wonder how the Chinese sellers sell the small stuff for a few bucks including shipping)
                  Last edited by Andrew Vanis; 10-21-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I'll be buying 2. That's great Andrew. Thank you for your service to the cause (our aging GS's).
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      I'll be buying 2. That's great Andrew. Thank you for your service to the cause (our aging GS's).
                      COOL! Thanks! paypal to AndrewVanis@gmail.com (please "Send money to a friend" to avoid PayPal charges include your address in the note)

here is the GSR pricing plus flat $4 shipping to USA and actual to the rest of the world

1 at $4 = $4.00 each
                      2 at $7 = $3.50 each
                      3 at $10 = $3.33 each
                      4 at $13 = $3.25 each
                      5 at $16 = $3.20 each
                      6 at $18 = $3.00 each
                      7 at $20 = $2.86 each
                      8 at $22 = $2.75 each
                      9 at $24 = $2.67 each
                      10 at $26 = $2.60 each

PS - these are to OEM dimensions not the extended for the clip. The clip is a great idea but (at least in my case) I couldn't insert the clip with the cover on the bike as reaching around back was too difficult.

PS2 - replacing the aged rubber grommets that these insert into will make installing and removing your existing ones and these new ones WAY easier!

PS3 - when removing, its easier on the panel and the post if you can push out the post from the back if you can get your finger in there.
                      Last edited by Andrew Vanis; 10-21-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

PM and payment sent.

On one of my side panels, the pin is broken off flush with the panel. On the other, the pin took a chunk of side panel plastic with it. Previous attempts to glue the broken pins on were unsuccessful. What is the recommended adhesive product/technique?

nevermind, I just read this "standard ABS plumbing glue."
                        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 11-06-2019, 08:17 AM.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                          PM and payment sent......nevermind, I just read this "standard ABS plumbing glue."
                          thanks, package mailed.

yep, ABS glue works really well. if your cover is painted where the post is, scrape off the paint so the chemical reaction can bond. Also, I have found the ABS glue a great glue and filler for cracks an to reinforce the back of cracked panels with a piece of ABS plastic (most plastic is ABS. this pic shows a piece of plastic I cut that came from a old monitor stand) if the ABS glue melts it then it should bond. FWIW, I tired using Acetone to glue the 'crack' and it kinda worked. the ABS glue is better....eventually I'll get to a proper fill, sand, and repaint on this cover.

Last edited by Andrew Vanis; 10-21-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post

....I wonder how the Chinese sellers sell the small stuff for a few bucks including shipping)
                            It's actually very simple. The Chinese post is subsidised as "a developing economy". That means USPS are not allowed to charge them the real costs which means the rest of the post is subsidising that...
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Nd my gas tank

Got my pins, thanks Andrew.

So, here’s what I have. Both flat tabs of both panels are in good shape. They’ve been holding the panels on for quite a while. Round pin from right panel had been detached and living in the rubber grommet for so long, I forgot it was there. A previous attempt to glue it had failed, don’t remember what I used, probably crazy glue. There’s a cross shape in the plastic panel that shows me exactly where I need to try to glue it using ABS plumbing glue. And I can use this pin as a guide to cut one bought from Andrew, with one to spare. I even found 2 new round grommets that are still very pliable. Must have bought extras a while ago.

The left panel is going to need a bit more work. My previous repair failed, that pin took a chunk of the panel with it. So I’m going to have to fill that. My only experience with body work is on these panels and my gas tank. The panel was cracked around the base on the pin. I repaired it with filler, bondo, something, don’t remember. It’s the red you see up in the pics. I had the panels and tank professionally painted, and they look pretty good, except where my failed repair took that chunk out and caused the paint to crack.

So I think I’ll sand and repaint both panels some complimentary color after repairing the pins. Maybe I’ll make some custom vinyl GS 750TZ decals. Not a fan of the look of the original T badges.

Any advice on how to fill the hole under where I need to glue on the new pin?

Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                              X