Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But does it taste funny, too?

Comment

I'll. Have to guess on the taste and my guess would ve yes.
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
        There are a couple of good FZ1OA threads about the water pump issue on the Gen 1. It's very rare. It can be fixed with the motor in the frame. Do you think it's related to the timing chain slider, or adjusting the valves. Interesting that it occurred during your repairs for those other issues.

There are also gaskets under the tubes in the head that the coolant hoses connect to. Those metal tubes can be removed and replaced. Saw a thread on it recently but can't remember if it resulted in water in the oil.

Shop online for OEM Water Pump parts that fit your 2005 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1T), search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686

Item 40
        Thanks, I did come across one of those threads and am in the process of tearing into the lower end to inspect the water pump. The only thing I can think that would relate the cam chain guides to a water pump leak would be in some of the plastic particles got in there and impacted those seals between water and oil pumps. I'll find out soon. I wouldn't even had drained the oil if the engine weren't rattling at high revs like it now is. I'm wondering if coolant in the oil could be causing that rattling.
        Current Bikes:

Comment

would it need a new headgasket? idk bout bikes as well but i know when water/coolant mixes with oil on a car your headgasket needs to be replaced if you didnt ruin the engine already
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

I had thought about that but I really don't think that's the case. The bike is running strong besides the rattle.
            Current Bikes:

Comment

Good thing I pulled the oil pan. Look at all the ground up plastic and metal shavings!20200123_203937.jpg
              Current Bikes:

Comment

Wow, hopefully it is all from something easily replaced, like a water pump. And I see Yamaha is still using the same oil level sensor from nearly 40 years ago. More pics please when you find the failed part.
                1981 Suzuki GS250T
                1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                1985 Suzuki GS550E
                2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

The ground up plastic is from the cam chain guides, primarily the one on the back side of the motor that the tensioner pushes against. I installed the tensioner incorrectly making the chain too tight which caused the chain the grind the guide down. The guide is basically metal inside with plastic surrounding it. It did get into the metal which I'm hoping is what the metal shavings are from. I've already replaced both guides. The chain thankfully is still in good shape. I WAS thinking about flushing the engine but I would think that has to be done with the pan on and the engine running, no?
                  Current Bikes:

Comment

I agree about the level of support at FZ1OA. I may do what you suggest. I haven't taken the pump off yet. I got tired after removing the pan last night. I'm expecting to find it full of debris.
                    Current Bikes:

Comment

How can you do a flush with the motor open at the bottom? What am I missing? Bike has about 49,000 miles.
                      Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
                        I'm just talking about pouring a couple qts of cheap oil into the oil filler hole and watching what comes out before buttoning up.
                        Oh ok. I was thinking of pouring some into the top cam area since it's still open.
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

I wouldn't waste oil by just pouring it down the cam chain tunnel. Buy a gallon of Supertech diesel from Walmart and take the bike for a nice ride then come home and dump it. If the oil looks brown do it again.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Much better.20200125_191228.jpg
                            Current Bikes:

Comment

No I'm on my back. No lift available in my garage.
                              It's amazing how the grease comes off using Fast Orange hand cleaner to scrub it.
                              Current Bikes:

Comment

A trick I learned with a GS that the oil screen bolts were stripped was to (carefully) lay the bike over on its side with a tire or something to cushion it. MUCH better access to the bottom.....
                                sigpic
                                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                                1983 GS1100e
                                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                                1980 GS1260
                                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                                X