• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get this bearing out?

How do I get this out?
    20200128_145946(1).jpg
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Other side. No way I can see to tap it out like the manual says.20200128_145957(1).jpg
    Current Bikes:

Comment

Maybe a small diameter drift and get it in at an angle to catch the edge of the bearing?? Work around the perimeter till it comes out??
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

What is that? More fun with you FZ1??

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Guess you could weld a rod inside, grab with vice grips, tap out with a hammer
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I have used anchor bolts to drive out bearings that i could not get to.
            Find one that gets close to the id of that bearing and it should grip
            it enough to tap it out.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I like the anchor bolt idea.
              Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                What is that? More fun with you FZ1??
                Yep but not much fun.
                Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Guess you could weld a rod inside, grab with vice grips, tap out with a hammer
                  If only I knew how to weld...
                  Current Bikes:

Comment

Essentialy a blind hole. Any gap in there?
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Essentialy a blind hole. Any gap in there?
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

If the back side is pretty much enclosed, find a rod or bolt that just barely fits into the center of the bearing. Pack axle grease behind the bearing, right up to the top of the hole. Place the rod/bolt in the hole, smack it with a BFH. Since the grease won't compress, it will push the bearing out.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

heat the casing up, the bearing will pop out a lot easier with the ali casing warmed up and expanded slightly
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I just had to remove a bearing similar to that from my ATV case. I bought a 3 jaw pilot bearing puller from harbor freight. I had to grind some metal off the tips of the jaws to get them inside the hole far enough to fit.
                            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

All interesting ideas, thanks. It's not enclosed from the back but the hole is only large enough for the shaft that goes through the bearing so no room to reach in from behind and tap it out, even though that's what the manual says to do. (???) Anyway, some explanation here: There were two seals I had to take out to get to where the bearing is. The first one, a mechanical seal had to be heated up to release its bonding agent. I heated it with a propane torch. I didn't think to do it with the thing turned upside down so the rubber from the other bearing behind it melted down into the bearing and then resolidified locking the bearing up. I tried heating it back up upside down hoping the rubber would remelt and "fall" out of the brearing. It did to some extent. I then decided to soak the whole thing in my gallon can of carb cleaner overnight. That did enough to free up the bearing and allow it to turn again. I'm soaking it some more now hoping I can get all the contaminant out of there. If I can, there won't be anymore need to remove the bearing.
                              Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                              X