Timing Chain pin to pin measurement - 1978GS750e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
    ha-ha! been there done that per wasting$$ but Yes, I've never heard of these wearing badly and certainly mine are fine though not high-mileage... Much stouter looking chains and/or different makes seem to have more problems from my general cruising among bikes I have...

There's sooo much oil coming up with the chain,from the sump that it'd be one of the last things to wear.

IF a chain stretches, it's going to work against the sprockets. I'd expect to see wear on them but steel quality may make that a wrong assumption compared to the wheel chain and sprockets...
    Laptop fried and new one is late so will load pics later. The DID219FTS(S) arrived. A circular chain with no master links, I measured it and 20 pins turned out to be about 5 3/4 inches, 6 pins about 1 1/2 inches. My sprockets on further inspection look just fine to me and after reading here, I wonder if the current chain needs changing. DiD never answered my email from last week - maybe they are closed or understaffed and the supplier thought he was ordering an open chain with a master link, grrr. At least I got the shims & lashes to spec with a few left over that should be of use, the next time I check. So if I close it up and do the chain next winter can I reuse the same breather and valve cover gaskets? I hope this excersise in thus far futility, helps someone else.
    Last edited by martin_montreal; 04-13-2020, 03:43 PM.

Comment

can I reuse the same breather and valve cover gaskets?
      the breather gasket I don't think I've had more than one on and off ...My bikes, the cover comes out without removing it. I don't think much happens up there as to leaks....so you should get away with re-use if it's in good condition.

The valve-cover gasket is a different animal. Usually old ones get flattened, (and torn coming off) and it's probably best to get a new one. They can be very $$$ for what they are so I can't help saying...You can cut your own if you take the trouble to make or get a couple of hole punches. It's not very hard and it's a big money saver making your own gaskets....the "thicker" stuff-usually there's two thicknesses at the autoparts places...TRIM around the outside after it's on-that makes a neater job than you can do on the bench ...the inside can be rough as to fit. Nobody sees it.

But whatever, a new one can last through several take-offs-and -ons...don't overtorque it. Follow the manual torquechart..I think it's about 72inch/lbs to start ...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
        the breather gasket I don't think I've had more than one on and off ...My bikes, the cover comes out without removing it. I don't think much happens up there as to leaks....so you should get away with re-use if it's in good condition.

The valve-cover gasket is a different animal. Usually old ones get flattened, (and torn coming off) and it's probably best to get a new one. They can be very $$$ for what they are so I can't help saying...You can cut your own if you take the trouble to make or get a couple of hole punches. It's not very hard and it's a big money saver making your own gaskets....the "thicker" stuff-usually there's two thicknesses at the autoparts places...TRIM around the outside after it's on-that makes a neater job than you can do on the bench ...the inside can be rough as to fit. Nobody sees it.

But whatever, a new one can last through several take-offs-and -ons...don't overtorque it. Follow the manual torquechart..I think it's about 72inch/lbs to start ...
        - thanks. I had to remove the breather cover to get the valve cover off and it was good to clean it. I have both gaskets, have made them before ( for my - now broken 2.cylinder air compressor) but will keep that in mind for the next time.i check the lashes. Instead of.changing the timing chain after a bunch of feedback I will remove, inspect and clean the tensioner before replacing the covers. It would be good to find a video on that. I just hope I don't need any o-rings. PITA for parts this covid19 particularly in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          True of drive chain sprockets, but I've never had to replace a cam chain sprocket nor have I ever heard of one being replaced, except if it was actually maltreated and broken.
          As for the camchain itself - my old one was replaced last year at 80K miles and it shows next to no sign of wear. This is in line with the previous ones I've had. In fact, I've never actually had to replace a camchain because of wear on my GSs, only as a precautionary measure, and essentially wasted money doing it.
          Thanks. Per the above, will just inspect the tensioner before reassembly. Appreciate all the input.

Comment

Originally posted by martin_montreal View Post
            - thanks. I had to remove the breather cover to get the valve cover off and it was good to clean it. I have both gaskets, have made them before ( for my - now broken 2.cylinder air compressor) but will keep that in mind for the next time.i check the lashes. Instead of.changing the timing chain after a bunch of feedback I will remove, inspect and clean the tensioner before replacing the covers. It would be good to find a video on that. I just hope I don't need any o-rings. PITA for parts this covid19 particularly in Canada.
            hmm o-rings in Canada...oftenplaces that sell Fasteners (nuts and bolts particularly) sell these. Here in Courtenay, Canadian Tire also has a drawer with them. But these are still open in BC....not sure where you are. The one you are likely to need is on the "set screw/lock nut" at least that's the one I've seen drip...ever heard of "plumber's string"? In a pinch, a wrap of cotton string yarn can do wonders.

But really, don't take it apart unless you need to. They should last the life of the bike or at least serious mileage....

Otherwise, if you MUST there's a "take apart" help at BikeCliff's website-specifically in the "engine " portion of "odds and ends" and two recent threads about them too...
            Bike Cliff's
            BikeCliff's Website
            specifically, here:

Comment

Working...
            X