My tach isn't taching anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My tach isn't taching anymore

What would be the first step to diagnose it?

It was whining a bit yesterday I believe (like an onnying phone ringtune).

Today it was stuck on zero.
    GS1000G 1981

Cable seized or broken now.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Disconnect the cable at the engine and at the back of the tach. Pull out the inner cable from the engine side. How many pieces are there. Should only be one. When my speedo cable broke a few weeks ago, there was a 2 inch piece still left in the speedo. You'll want to clean the spindle inside the tach, the part that turns. I think that's where the whine comes from. I'm not sure of the exact preferred method. There have been recent posts about it. I made the mistake of blasting brake cleaner up inside and it stained the blue and red lenses on the tach face. So don't do that. But it did free the spindle. I used the 2" broken piece in my drill chuck and inserted into the spindle. Spun the drill (on Reverse/counter-clockwise) to verify clean and no more whine. Lube the spindle with something, White lithium or engine oil. Also lube the new cable. Opinions on what to use for lube vary.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks, I will try to get it off tomorrow.

Is the wire something I need an OEM part for or is this generic?

I guess since I know the bike fairly well now, I am not absolutely desperate to have a tach. But Ill have to get it fixed at some point.
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
          Thanks, I will try to get it off tomorrow.

Is the wire something I need an OEM part for or is this generic?

I guess since I know the bike fairly well now, I am not absolutely desperate to have a tach. But Ill have to get it fixed at some point.
          you can get an aftermarket but make sure its for yours, ive got an aftermarket for my 650 and it works just fine, just make sure it looks like your cable!
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Aftermarket will work but OEM is the best fitting bet.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I took the wire off, and I pulled the wire out of the thing the wire is inside of.

The wire was in one piece (two if your count the brass thing towards the engine), and covered with the nastiest oil I have experienced. It was more like tar... The wire seems slightly degraded where it attaches to the brass thing.

Is there supposed to be things on the other end of the wire? Its just wire going into the instrument panel...

I am not sure where to go from here.

There were no drill in the garage, so I couldn't spin the wire to test (I tried with a flat iron, but I was nowhere near 1000 rpm).

I think maybe the brass bit doesn't like, attach well to the wire.
              GS1000G 1981

Comment

The inner "wire", at the tach end is square and goes into the tach spindle. The engine end of the "wire" has a slot that fits the tach drive tab that comes out of the engine part. Pictures would help.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Pictures would help.

I would have started on the engine side :

connect inner and outer cable to the engine.
                  Start engine.
                  See if the inner wire rotates, and maybe whines.
                  Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Ya'll got me confused. If you disconnect from eng. & from back of Tach, there should be only two pieces. A cable & a housing (hollow tube). The cable should slide right out from the eng. end. The tacho end should be square (flat on 4 sides) it slides in to a square hole in the tach. The other end is the cable with a small round piece of metal attached (possibly brass) that has a slot in it, it slides onto a flat piece inside the tach. drive. the two pices you're describing doesn't sound right. Seems the slotted part, with the slot in it, that should be attached to the cable, has broke loose.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      Ya'll got me confused. If you disconnect from eng. & from back of Tach, there should be only two pieces. A cable & a housing (hollow tube). The cable should slide right out from the eng. end. The tacho end should be square (flat on 4 sides) it slides in to a square hole in the tach. The other end is the cable with a small round piece of metal attached (possibly brass) that has a slot in it, it slides onto a flat piece inside the tach. drive. the two pices you're describing doesn't sound right. Seems the slotted part, with the slot in it, that should be attached to the cable, has broke loose.
                      sounds like it.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like steinar3000.

In the link there is pictures.

Rphillips your interpitation sounds correct.

The piece with the slott wasnt brass, I cleaned it and it lost its color

I have submerged the wire in brake cleaner.

The wire will spin if not inside the tach, so Im assuming the damaged end of the wire lets it spin freely.

My plan to restore it is to use threadlocker inside the slotted part to make it attached again. And oil the wire with engine oil and litiumfat on the square end.

If I buy a new wire I get both the inside and outside part right?
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Noreg, you can try that but I think it'd be a waste of time. I highly doubt that threadlocker is going to keep it together. Get a new OEM cable. You can ride without one til you get it. No big deal. Just listen to your engine. (coming from the guy who just blew up his engine by over-revving it). New cable comes with inside and outside part.
                          Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-21-2020, 08:10 PM.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                            Noreg, you can try that but I think it'd be a waste of time. I highly doubt that threadlocker is going to keep it together. Get a new OEM cable. You can ride without one til you get it. No big deal. Just listen to your engine. (coming from the gut who just blew up his engine by over-revving it). New cable comes with inside and outside part.
                            I gave it up, I hardly need a tach anyways.

I ordered a new OEM cable.

I agree I can just drive it from sound. And like realistically, any speed I can go here is okay in second gear... I am not sure what speed I would go if I went 1st gear in 9000 rpm (Id guess 80ish kmh?).

It will probably take a while before it arrives.
                            GS1000G 1981

Comment

Not very fast and not very far in my very recent experience
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                              X