Frame damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame damage

Hello, I'm just starting on a restoration of a 1978 GS550E but unfortunately found some damage to the frame under some filler. I'm pretty new to doing this kinda thing and would appreciate if someone would let me know how concerned I should be about this.

My guess is it's due to some crash bars that were previously on the bike that have been clamped on tight enough to bend the frame. Found a picture of crash bars that attach to that part of the frame below the pic of my bike frame.

Comment

I have had some similar indentation of an 1100 frame but not nearly as deep.
      it might never give s problem, but personally I would fill the creases and flap wheel it smooth just for the peace of mind. certainly if you ever planned on putting bars back on you would be in a much better position.

Comment

Imo, that's deep and long enough to need a patch welded over that section. Weakened tube is not good.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. I think you guys are right, I better get it welded to be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            Imo, that's deep and long enough to need a patch welded over that section. Weakened tube is not good.
            I agree. That's had quite a thump to end up like that so as well as getting repaired if it were my bike I'd get it checked to see if the frame has been whacked out of straight.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I would reinforce it as well.
              Ask around. There are welders and welders.
              Has the tube been perforated?
              Seen a few frames rust out from the inside, lower down at the bend in front of the crankcase after water got in at the top.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                I would reinforce it as well.
                Ask around. There are welders and welders.
                Has the tube been perforated?
                Seen a few frames rust out from the inside, lower down at the bend in front of the crankcase after water got in at the top.
                Took the last bits off the frame today and when I flipped it over and cleaned off the paint, yes you guessed it, rust!

Also discovered just how battered the front of the frame is, the bike has had a tough life.

Spoken to a mate who is going to do all the welding on the bike. The plan is to cut out the rust and weld in a piece off the centre stand since I don't plan on using it. The creases in the frame he will gradually build up with weld.

Comment

Bummer and all too fequent.
                  Well, you know the drill. What you can see is the tip of the iceberg.
                  Getting all the paint off is good.
                  Would be no harm to stab the frame with a screwdriver here and there especially the runs under the sump pan.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

As Brendan says, the bottom frame tubes are particularly susceptible to rust, especially in the area just above the side stand bracket.
                    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Working...
                    X