Rear wheel locked up help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear wheel locked up help...

Hey Im Jordan I never post just sorta read and Ive got a 1981 GS1100G and Im selling her sorry to say. But my problem is that when I went to move her(hasnt been moved since summer) the rear tire wont roll I made sure quite a few times I was in neutral, it even says it on the guage, I rocked her back and forth a few times still wont roll. Now the clutch felt a lil tight when I first pulled her in but sure loosened up and I made sure the lever was moving also. It feels like shes still in gear.I checked the rear caliper too and thats not frozen either. I really dont know where to start and Im not very smart with bikes? Any advice would be great.

Is the rear disc rusted to the rotor? this can happen with semimetalic pads.
    Get it up on the centerstand, set the kill switch on the handlebar to off and try to start it, does the rear wheel move? If the starter won't engaged with the kill switch off (some bikes are that way) then pull the spark plug wires off and try and crank the bike on the centerstand.

The idea is to test for movement without the bike actually starting (that would be unsafe) and see if it is in gear or locked u p.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

hmmm

What do you mean disc rusted to rotor?

Comment

Re: hmmm

Originally posted by 1981GS
        What do you mean disc rusted to rotor?
        On the rear disc the brake pads might be rusted to the disk. I meant to say brake pads, been a long day

Comment

hmmm

Well the wheel moves just a bit like its in gear.

Comment

You might be able to wiggle it in neutral by moving the rear wheel and working the gear lever.

Comment

stuck

sounds like the bike has been sitting and it is a shafty right? if the pads are not jambed then it is ethier locked between gears due to trans damage, or you have a problem in the final drive, if it is chain drive the chain links may be frozen for rust and age, also did you check to see if the front calipers are frozen?? go around all the calipers and give them a whack with a rubber mallet! dont have one use a block of wood with a reg. hammer

Comment

Hmmm

Hmm it only sat for a few months, It ran fine before I stopped it. Just didnt think it just not shift into neutral just by sitting. Does it matter if the gauge says its in neutral?

Comment

There might be a problem with the sensor that fools you into thinking it is in Neutral when it is not. The sensor could be falsely reporting it is out of gear when it is not. Absent that , I think there might be a clutch or transmission problem. Start it on the centerstand, making sure you stand clear of everything that spins, let the clutch out and see what happens. Make sure the engine is not revved up high, just a low idle.

If you get the gearbox moving you might be able to work it into neutral.

Comment

New prob

Well I cant get her started now ahhh all I did was shut her of in the fall and now shes falling apart. I have gas I pulled the tank and checked the valve, I have spark at least on the far left cylinder and the starter is turning over I pulled a plug and checked. I even poured a lil gas down 2 of the cylinders she should at least try to fire? any advice, oh and I cant get on the center stand.. I forgot to say also its been really cold here like below zero with the wind chill maybe some of my problem?

Comment

gs

Ok you have spark you primed the engine so you have fuel, does the bike have compression? if you have all 3 and the timing is correct then it should at least fire, keep in mind that a spark plug that fires in open atmosphere may not fire under compression, so you may want to change out the plugs, was the bike left out side in the rain or under a plastic cover, also have you opened a bowl screw to see if fuel is going into the carbs

Comment

Hey 1981GS - Is this the 1100G you told me just needed new front signals, headlight, and maybe new tires?

I saw you put it up for sale on e-bay last week!

That high bidder is going to be pretty *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed off when he finds all this crap wrong with it!!

Good luck. You've got a lot of late nights ahead of you. Hope you can get it all fixed up by the time he gets up there.

Chad

Comment

LOL all problems solved I brought the inside and a few hours later I tryed moved it and it rolled. Then I fired her up inside lol and she started right up dam she does not like the cold. Maybe the clutch was sticking I dont know but shes moves just fine Yeah I was worried about her not going since shes sold but alas shes good to go. Thanks to everyone for your advice you guys rock.

Comment

You could have a bad bearing it happened to me once when I had the bike layed up for a while.

Comment

Well shes not running again, I started her up drove around for a few and then she made a popping noise and wouldnt fire again I checked the fuses and the ignition fuse was blown, I tryed starting her again and still wouldnt start I checked for spark and have none? Where should I go now?

Comment

Working...
                              X