more tachometer problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more tachometer problems

I just replaced the cable and my tach still does not read. it will rise very slowly if I rev the engine but the highest I have gotten it to rise is 2K rpm. The problem appears to be at the junction between the cable and the actual guage. It appears that the hole is stripped and a bit larger than it should be. The spinning part of the cable will not grip.I was thinking about filling the hole with epoxy or some other medium.

any other suggestions?

the bike is a '77 750 with the old style gauges (only tach speedo and gear indicator)

I had a lot of problems with my gauges. First i figure i needed new cables, so i did that. Then i realized the gauges were crap. I bought some different gauges off Ebay for $25, not exactly the same as mine, but i made them work. I got the gauges and wired them up, tach worked but speedo didnt. I had to replace the gear drive. Finally all my gauges work, well exept the fuel. I dont know what to tell you on how to fix it, but you could find some decent gauges on Ebay pretty cheap im sure. Godd luck!

Comment

Epoxy won't last. Best to find a new tach assembly. They usually come up pretty cheap on ebay.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

As I understand it, our Tac's have a oil damping pot in them for smoothness of operation. Once that oil becomes crap, the tac will not operate correctly. The colder it is, the worst they act. Keep watching e-bay as I am.
        Frank E-Bay ID flg1143

Comment

Me 2.

Comment

Bringing back a pretty old thread, but I've got the same problem. Will keep an eye on fleabay, but as a temporary fix, how about epoxy or some other sort of glue, any reason not to do this besides it not lasting long?

Comment

I have the old tach from a 77 750 forsale if your interested? $25 plus shipping sounds good to me. There might be a picture of it in my photobucket link.
              1979 GS850G
              2004 SV650N track bike
              2005 TT-R125 pit bike
              LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Working...
              X