Rebuilt the petcock and I can hardly turn it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilt the petcock and I can hardly turn it

I just rebuilt the stock petcock on my 750 with a K&L kit and when I got it all screwed back together it is so stiff I can hardly turn it. It will probably be a little easier once it's back on the bike, but I'm afraid I'll bend the tank where it's bolted on. I'm also worried that when I need to switch to reserve, I'll have to stop and get off the bike and use two hands.

Should I use some kind of lube on the flat gasket with the 4 holes and the C-channel o-ring that goes around the handle part, or will it be better once there's a little gas inside? or once I've used it a few times?

I have to lube the one on my GS400E every couple months. I just spray it with whatever I have on hand. You don't need to pull it apart to do this, it will work itself in quickly.

Steve

Comment

Did you over tighten the two small Phillips screws that hold the front plate over the lever? They have to be snug enough to stop leaking, but too tight will cause stiffness. A little lube is always a good idea too.
      Hopefully, the rebuild kit had the correct thickness rubber disc.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

the petcock on my 1980 GS 850 L, has the opposite problem. just keeps turning in either direction.

to adjust it, you have to stick a small flathead screwdriver in and turn.

Comment

Glad this post came up, I just bought a rebuild kit because of the fact mine is real hard to turn and I figured if I'm going to take it apart I may as well rebuild it, I would think as long as the lube you use doesn't degrade o-rings you should be ok to lube it. also was there a screen or filter to clean that goes up into the tank? will I need other gaskets?

Comment

Well, I took it apart and put a little WD-40 on the disk and the handle o-ring and it is much better.

The new rubber disk was a little thicker than what I took out, but the old one was pretty hard - I'm sure it was the original and it may be thinner from being squashed all those years. I did tighten the screws all the way. That's the way it was, and I'm concerned that they will fall out, although I guess the rubber disk acts sort of like a lock washer.

GS700Jim - I didn't need any other gaskets other than what comes in the K&L kit - I assume you won't either. The part of the petcock that sticks up into the tank has a very fine screen filter on it, so be VERY careful when you take it out of the tank and be VERY gentle when you clean it.

Not all the gas comes out when you drain the tank on Prime, so be sure to tilt the back end of the tank up before you take the petcock off.

Comment

OK. Glad it's working better. The WD 40 will dry up though after a while.
              Those two little Phillips have a fine line betweeen too tight=stiff lever, and just tight enough=smooth lever. But only you can be the judge here. A little blue loc-tite will help if you decide to back the screws off a little bit.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

K&L

I replaced my petcock gaskets and stuff with K&L products, It never worked, it still filled my crancases and is stiff to turn. I installed an in line on/off tap, so I cured it and wasted $22 on a petcock kit.

Comment

Re: K&L

Originally posted by feelergaugephil
                  I replaced my petcock gaskets and stuff with K&L products, It never worked, it still filled my crancases and is stiff to turn. I installed an in line on/off tap, so I cured it and wasted $22 on a petcock kit.
                  I was starting down that path - a day after I get it turning well, it's leaking again - not only onto the top of the airbox, but it was letting gas through to the carbs even when there was no vacuum. :x

So, I put the old diaphram back in, but used the new o-ring on the little metal plug. I also put back the old large flat rubber washer with the four holes, but I left the new o-ring around the handle. So far - a week and 130 mi later - it's not leaking...

Comment

Line up diaphram corretly?

Did you line up the air hole for the diaphram and put teh brass spring back in it. I use dteh impresions on the old diaphram to make sure i put the K&L one in correctly.

Comment

Yeah, but the air hole in the new diaphram didn't seem to quite line up when the holes for the screws were in the right place. I did have the spring in.

Since it's not leaking now, I'm happy. If it starts to leak, I'll try a few more combinations of parts....

Comment

Working...
                      X