dimming lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dimming lights

i have an 82 gs 650L and the lights get brighter and dimmer in just normal riding. i dont know what the problem is and if any body could help me with it i need all the help i can get thanks

The infamous regulator/rectifier is what keeps the current steady. The stator makes all sorts of various power depending on the engine RPM's. It sounds as if your R/R has gone south, taxing your battery and possibly wearing it out (if not now, soon) and thus the current at the battery is constantly changing with engine RPM's. Put a multi-meter on the battery and check the current at idle and then at 5000 RPM. The stator papers "In The Garage" section will tell you what the voltage should be at those two RPM's. If it's not right add a solid ground from the R/R body to the negative battery terminal. If that doesn't work, you might need some new charging parts.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

regulator

how much are regulators and can you buy them used

Comment

you can, look in the tips and tricks, someone has a "my regulator modification" post that should describe some other models' regulators you can use as well.

good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X