Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the heck was this?!

gotta be quick, but heres a synopsis...

last night, i go to take out and reset my cam chain tensioner. I take carbs off, etc., and set the torsion spring at 1.5 turns...

working great, no rattling anymore.

I put everything back together , but forget to fasten the choke cable to the carbs , and to tighten the nuts on my throttle control, as well as putting the breather tube in (your telling me... 8O )

Anywho, I start riding, all is good, and then the throttle gets stuck nearly wide open.... I pull to side of road, try to fix it, and get it to idle properly after taking tank off and fiddling with cables.

Then it does it again, so i ride back to my bros (1am) and wheel it inside. Take airbox and carbs off again, and put in cables 100%tight. I go to start it up, and it starts to do it again (going to maybe 6500rpm without touching it)... not my cable , as its moving freely completely.

seeing as I have to get home, i ride and shift up into 2nd, then 3rd. when i eventually get to 4, im not going on the throttle at all, since i didnt need to.

then the problem stopped altogether.....

it doesnt do it anymore......

:? :? :?

Hmm, all I can say is yikes. 8O That's not right...
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Sounds like you need to lube your throttle cable.
      My bike did that when I tuned the carbs. Though Apparently I had the cable routed incorrectly and it was yanking on the throttle assembly at the carbs which opened the butterflies making the bike race from the moment you started it up.

Check your cable routing and condition of your throttle cable.

Dm of mD

Comment

doesnt do it any more after i reassembled it. the routing is good, as it leaves a lot of flexibility.

im pretty sure the cause was the cables not being secured, and i just had to unstick something , somehow, later on.

its all god now, so im happy!

Comment

I had a similar problem the first time I pulled my carbs off, eventually I figured out I had positioned one of the clamp rings slightly off and the screw was interfering with the throttle assembly. spun the clamp and the hitch went away!

good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X