Front wheel compatibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front wheel compatibility?

I recently noticed a slight wobble in the front wheel of my '81 GS650G when making slow sweeping turns. The tire was pretty worn so I figured I would pull it off, check the bearings and get a new tire put on. Today, the shop mounted the new tire, but they said that they could not get the wheel balanced and suspected a bent wheel.

Are there other suzi wheels that are the same as the '81 GS650? I noticed there are a number of wheeels from GS550s and GS750s on ebay that look similar to mine.

Yes, lots of wheels will fit. Though... I just so happen to have an 1982 GS650G wheel sitting here. I'm willing to let it go... Make me an offer? PM it :-)

I also have a GS550 wheel I'd let you have, it's a slightly different style of wheel, but it's just as compatable. Just so you have a choice.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

wheel

I would change shops if i was you. If they cant tell a bent wheel from a out of balanced one, there crap. If you still have the wheel out spin it on the axle and see if it is bent that way or place it back in bike and put on centre stand and jack/raise the front and turn the wheel to see if it moves back and forth between the forks. Most wheels will fit youres as a lot of early suzi's have the same sizes

Comment

I think you can even put GSXR wheels on. :-) At least the first generation or two. And, just for fun. you can swap complete front ends from anything from a 77gs through a hayabusa IIRC... Suzuki got the headstock right, and decided they didn't need to change the bearings from then on out.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Thanks all.

I talked to the guy at the shop today--he wasn't there when I picked up the wheels--and he said there is a very small flat spot in the wheel and he got it balanced *almost* perfectly, but thought it was best to pick up a used wheel.

Now that I think about it, I did hit a huge pothole at about 35MPH one rainy night (almost threw me from my bike), and that was about the time the slight wobble/vibration began.

Chris

Comment

Working...
          X