84 Suzuki GS550 TSCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 Suzuki GS550 TSCC

This is a great bike. It usually runs great. Since last year it has had a wierd problem. It starts up and runs for about 5-10 min. Then it cuts out completly and wont spark at all. I put is on the charger thinking maybe the alternator is junk, just to see if it would run on the charger, but still nothing. If i let it set for a while it will do the same thing again. I am to cheap to bring it somewhere, so i was wondering if anyone would be able to help. I Thank Anyone for any input!

I took the stator out because that is what a few people tole me it might be. It has black stuff all over the coiled wires. I dont know if it is just the glue or if that means there is something wrong with it. Is there a way that i can test it. It has three yellow wires comming out the side but i have no clue how to test to see if it is bad. Thanks again.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can test it for a short by testing each wire for continuity with one of the holes that the mounting screws go through. I'm pretty sure that's a three-phase alternator, so since there are three wires, there should be no continuity with ground (the metal body of the stator). if only one is shorted, it will probably still keep the battery charged. However, it will probably kill the reg/rec eventually.

If I'm wrong, please, somebody correct me.

Comment

Read the stator papers. It gives the testing procedure in there.

Comment

Working...
        X