80 550e Dyna S Questions (searched)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 550e Dyna S Questions (searched)

I just want to make sure I am getting the right stuff for my bike. I am new to this and I just want to make my GS experiance a good one. Any help is greatly appreciated. Here we go!

1980 Gs 550E
    17000 and change
    CDI unit is bad verified with manual (bought it first)

I am going to get a new ignition and coils:

Here is my question, What do I need to get to make it work. I want to get the dyna s, because that is what everyone seems to use as the standard. As for the coils, It is either going to be accel or dyna (green).
    I could use some basic guidence on the Mechanical advance unit and where the best place is to get one. What else do I need?

-Just for referance I plan on riding this bike on the street and probally not going to do any performance upgrades, just those that make it more reliable.
    I also work on small aircraft for a living, so I have a small amount of skill with tools

Thanks for all your help and I am so glad to find this forum.

-Jay

You need the Dyna DS3-2 for your bike, as for the mechanical advance unit keep an eye on ebay for one. They were on the older bikes that had points. You can also pick up coils on ebay from time to time a lot cheaper then buying new.

Comment

Thanks for the help...

Comment

What bikes mechanical advancing unit can I use? will any of them work or do I need one off a 550?

-Jay

Comment

advance

Just thought I would jump in- First off make sure your bike doesn't already have a mech/adv unit just because it doesn't have points doesn't mean anything,my 1100 had electronic with mechanical advance. As for interchanging parts your local dealer or salvage yard should be able to set you straight. (If you are new to playing with the oldies get to know the people at the local salvage yard- believe me you will be on a first name basis before long). Dyna is a good choice-easy to install just read and follow the directions, entire conversion can be done in a short afternoon.A word of caution- make sure mech/adv unit is moving freely with no sticky spots and that the springs are in good shape. To save you the sticker shock the conversion will set you back around $400 which is in the same range as the igniter box that you are throwing away and Far superior. This would also be a good time to check and clean all conectors and grounds as well as swiches--headlight to tailight!! Both my email and PM are listed feel free-thats why we're here.

Comment

dyna s

Dyna s and green coils shop around I did mine for $275, $400 is the high end, shop shop shop. your 1980 already has the needed advance unit

Comment

That is why I love ebay. I'm upgrading my GS1100GK with the Dyna coils and a Dyna III for under $100. Granted they are used but have a lot of life left in them.

Comment

coils

Used electrics are a bad deal at best spend the money for new mine was $275

Comment

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP!!!

One last question: Where is the sheapest place to get the Dyna S? I have looked on google and I see them for 153.00 but who do I trust and where can I good service after the fact from?

-Later

Jay

Comment

Buffalo Breath Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:24 am Post subject: coils

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Used electrics are a bad deal at best spend the money for new mine was $275
                    Why haven't you died yet? You best bet is to go play pin the tail on the freight train. Oh, and please touch the 3rd rail. Peckerwood...
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                    X