Dyna ignition problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna ignition problems?

I bought a used dyna DS3-2 ignition from E-bay & now my bike runs like crap!I know i've got it hooked up correctly according to Dyna.After it warms up it begins to backfire@idle & starts knocking(not pinging).I set timing on cyl.1&4 -still runs bad.Next I checked timing on cyl.2&3-it appears to be firing anytime it pleases.When you do see the timing mark(which isn't often)it's not even clear(fuzzy) & no amount of adjusting will get it to line up!My theory is pickup coil for cyl.2&3 is bad,but I would think if thats the case I wouldn't have any spark @#2&3.If I am correct about #2&3 firing anytime it pleases that would explain why I hear the knocking,it's advanced so far it's trying to turn the engine backwards-not at all good for my engine!Next I put the stock ignition back on & it runs fine!Have any of you ever had this problem & if so what was the problem.Thanks!

Sometimes with these electronic ignitions you need to run different coils. I'm not sure about what the resistance is supposed to be, but perhaps someone else does.

8)
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I would contact Dyna tech 1-626-963-1669 Or send them & email

Comment

Re: Dyna ignition problems?

It sounds like your timing proceedure is incorrect. Would you list the steps you took in setting the timing.

Earl

Originally posted by herb
        I bought a used dyna DS3-2 ignition from E-bay & now my bike runs like crap!I know i've got it hooked up correctly according to Dyna.After it warms up it begins to backfire@idle & starts knocking(not pinging).I set timing on cyl.1&4 -still runs bad.Next I checked timing on cyl.2&3-it appears to be firing anytime it pleases.When you do see the timing mark(which isn't often)it's not even clear(fuzzy) & no amount of adjusting will get it to line up!My theory is pickup coil for cyl.2&3 is bad,but I would think if thats the case I wouldn't have any spark @#2&3.If I am correct about #2&3 firing anytime it pleases that would explain why I hear the knocking,it's advanced so far it's trying to turn the engine backwards-not at all good for my engine!Next I put the stock ignition back on & it runs fine!Have any of you ever had this problem & if so what was the problem.Thanks!
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

dyna

Just a tip but never ever buy used electrics its just faults economy, dyna S 3 0hms to 5 ohms coils dyna-111, 3 ohms, also is your advancer free and not stuck?

Comment

Working...
          X