Kinky chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinky chain

Heh, is it normal for a chain to go kinky all of a sudden? I took my bike out for the first time in a week and I had some bad vibrations. When I got home I found my chain to be slightly kinky. My o-ring chains seem to have a poor track record for this and it's been a reoccuring problem. The 1100 has a DID 630 o-ring chain and my 400 had an RK 530 x-ring chain. I can't see soaking the chain fixing the problem. Do I just need to grab hold of it and bend it a few times? I'm using Maxima Chain Wax and half the time I put it on cold because I'm a park it and run kind of guy. One would think that running the bike at 100MPH would move the chain quick enough to take the kinks out.

Thanks, Steve

Shouldn't happen, man. Something must be up- what do you keep your chain tension at? Maybe the alignment is off a little?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Total movement of the chain is about 2" from upper to lower position at the tightest spot. This chain has the usual tight-loose problem in different areas so it is hard to give a definate answer. I made sure it is alligned because I learned my lesson with the 400. I'll see what I can do with the chain tomorrow...it's got a lot of adjustment left so I want to save it. Maybe I'll switch back to gearlube for a while.

Steve

Comment

2" sounds a bit loose. The 750 book gives 1" +/- 3/16" at the tightest spot. I've run a spray on wax for the last 4,000 km with no apprent problems, but I don't ride hard.

Pete

Comment

I like to keep the chain at 1.5" of slack at rest. That is with the bike on the ground and me not on it. I made the mistake of running the chain too tight and totally trashed my chain and both sprockets.
          Currently bikeless
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Rats, I covered over 1600 km during the last few days and the chain is worn out. The kinked links went away but the loose sections are really loose now so anything below 70 km/hr is unbearable. Time to meditate about a 530 conversion.

Steve

Comment

Sorry, I don't understand any of this.....................Oh! that's right I have a shaftdrive('')

Comment

Sorry, I don't understand any of this.....................Oh! that's right I have a shaftdrive
                Well, we'll see ya back here when your final drive wears out!
                Currently bikeless

Comment

Cush drive

Hi all,
                  Here's something I found while doing my back tire swap. I checked the rubber's in my cush drive and found them not all the same height. The rubber's are all in perfect shape, as far as I can tell, they just are not all the same thickness any more. It's very slight, and I always thought the back sprocket was turning true, but looking at the inside of the sprocket hub you can see where some rubbers have been rubbing more than others. I put a straight edge across the hub of the cush drive and shimmed all the rubbers to the same height. Not only is the drive smoother but the tight/ loose thing in the chain is all but gone. Now there is no more than 3mm difference in any part of the chain as it goes around. Might be something to check before wearing out a new chain and sprocket.
                  Keith

Comment

Working...
                  X