1981 GS1100E Speedometer reface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS1100E Speedometer reface

I heard of a place in the UK that redials/customizes faces for speedometers. I want to get rid of the 85MPH limit on mine and reface it with a 140MPH+ limit. I wrote to them at http://www.redial-uk.co.uk/services.html but have gotten no response fro them yet. It has been two weeks. Will the '83 speedo drive gear fit to make it accurate? Is there an adater for the cable available? A friend of mine did it with his somewhere out in California but he is nowhere to be found. Plzzz help. Thanx, Brian

I bought a nearly new, about 9000 miles on it, from an 83, with the 140mph speedo for my 82 GS1100E.
    I bought it off a guy on this board. It was exactly as he said, no cracks in the glass, in great shape.
    Bolted right on and works great.

Ebay can be your friend, or look here in the for sale, parts section.
    Also post in the wanted,parts section.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Thanks for the interchange info but I would like to keep my original instrument cluster and just redial the speedo face.

Comment

I've been inside the clocks of the 81 1100E many, many times. The half circle configuration of the speedo gauge face itself is the problem. The 82 and 83 use a round gauge face and I think the earlier models do too. I'm sure the gauges themselves will work perfect as far a function, but if you want to keep the appearance of your stock gauges, I think you might be out of luck. To go with an 83 gauge pod (which will have the 140 clock) you will need to replace the headlight as well, or it will look really funky with the 81 headlight cowl.

I got real good at calculating the speed by the tach. Plus it's kinda fun to be able to bury the speedo just as you're pulling in the clutch for 3rd gear!

Even better, get a good GPS unit and mount it on board. I't amazing how accurate the speedometer function is on them. And having it record your max speed is super cool!
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
        X