sometimes will crank, sometimes will not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sometimes will crank, sometimes will not

Hello all, first let me say I have searched the old posts but come up with over 3000, most have nothing to do with what I search for!
    I have a 1980 GS1100ET. It has just over 24000 miles and rides fantastic...when it will crank! The problem is intermittent cranking. When it will turn over there is NO problem with the bike starting and running. Sometimes it will turn over and crank right up, and sometimes all it will do is make a big "clack" in the solenoid. SOMETIMES i can make it crank by putting the bike in gear and "bumping" it forward, then put in neutral, hit the switch and VROOOOOM. Sometimes this dont work. I have noticed that it will almost ALWAYS start the first time early in A.M. but cut it off and try to start.....CLACK CLACK... no cranking!

This problem has just started. I had the usual problems with this bike and the R/R and solenoid burned up with a cheap battery. I have now replaced the battery with a new Yuasa AGM battery, replaced the R/R with the "expensive" electrex one. Bought a new Suziki OEM solenoid for it. Someone had actually rewired the old r/r to the stator as suggested on this site. I double checked those connections. I actually fixed a problem with turn signals being slow at low RPM's by grounding the r/r straight to the battery. With my son, who is a certified electrician, using his good volt meter we made ALL the tests suggested in the book in the electrical section. Even tested the igniter, and ALL tests showed in the normal range of working fine! By all tests: we tested stator connections, all 3 showed 83 volts AC at 5000 RPM's (80 or more called normal); solenoid showed 14 volts DC(14-15.5 normal), disconnected the signal generator connectors and it showed 256 ohms (250-360 normal).
    We checked all connections and put crimp heat shrink connection posts on those from the r/r. Checked ALL grounds we could find. We have searched all wires from rear taillight to headlight for loose connections and bad fuses. Replaced ALL fuses (just for good luck).
    Is this a bad starter? Maybe just needs new brushes? Guys I have NO ONE familiar with these bikes to talk to locally! HELP!! This is the only transportation I have at the time. (Drove my moms buick to work today but it just AINT the same if you know what I mean...hahahaha) Also working on a very small budget due to ongoing divorce. (no "sorry's" please, best thing ever happened to me!) Any suggestions appreciated guys, I know yall have a lot more experience and knowledge than I do.
    Thanks in advance!
    Steve

If this were happening to me, I'd be taking the starter clutch out and having a look. Sounds like the starter clutch gear is shot.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I had one that did the same thing, took the starter apart & found the insides completely coated (FUZZY) with carbon dust, big time. Cleaned it out good with alcolhol & put it back together with the old worn out brushes, & it started fine for about 5 or 6 weeks then quit completely. Had new brushes installed at a local starter & alternator shop, still starting fine today. One more tip, when you rock it back & forth while in gear, hold the starter button in, be ready to pull the clutch lever as soon as it starts to turn the motor. Oh, if your clutch safety switch is still conected, this won't work.

Comment

Success!

Hey guys,
        thanks for the information.

I'm up and riding again! I took the starter out and yes it was gummed up. Not as bad as I thought it would be and I was really wondering if it was going to help at all. The worst of it was around the open ball bearing that is in there. I simply took it apart, cleaned it real good with alcohol and put it back on. The brushes didnt even look that bad to me, although I'm going to go ahead and buy a pair to have on hand.

After buying two R/R's, Yusaba battery, a solenoid, clutch plates, two clutch cables and clutch lever, a rear tire and cleaning the starter, this thing is running like a champ! The power this monster has is unbelievable!

Thanks again for getting me riding fellows!

Happy trails,
        Steve

Comment

Did you lubricate the open ball-bearing assembly after cleaning it with alcohol?

Comment

Working...
          X