joy ride scare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joy ride scare

took my 1100ed out to eagle river today, it's only about 8 miles. i was cruising along on the way home at about 70mph with about 1/2 tank of gas when i started loosing power, it would go in and out and it wasnt missing. no back fires, but when id try to give it gas while it was getting weak it would detonate. i got into town and all was fine, idled smooth, tons of power. engine temp never moved. any ideas?

Do you have a inline fuel filter?

Comment

The first thing I'd check is whether the petcock is flowing fuel properly. Sometimes it'll flow just enough gas to supply the carbs while at low speeds but at higher speeds it can't keep up with demand.

Comment

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I posted the same type question. Try these responses...

I haven't had the situation show up since but have narrowed it down to petcock issues and inline fuel filter and (probably) a combination of both. How are things up in the Last Frontier?-Pete '80 1100L

Comment

i have no inline filter.

thanks for the help, ill check the petcock and the filler cap vent.

would lack of fuel make it ping?

Comment

Yes. Too much air going into a hot cylinder.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Sorry, not trying to hijack your post. But I assume you meant Eagle River, WI. If so, I'll be up that way the first week of August and would love to meet up to explore the roads.

Brad tt

Comment

no no, im in alaska. i dont think there are many GS'ers up here

Comment

Originally posted by akhoundog
                  no no, im in alaska. i dont think there are many GS'ers up here
                  Ah well. Had to ask. I was looking for an excuse to take the bike on vacation this summer.

Brad tt

Comment

I guessed correctly! That's why I asked how things are in the Last Frontier. However, Eagle River Wisconsin isn't that far from me!-Pete '80 1100L

Comment

On the topic of surging/cutting out: I am having a similar problem. I have sorted out the mixture, and the bike runs sweet. But... every now and then, after high speed running, she just starts to surge, bog, cut out, etc. After slowing down (like I have a choice) for a half-minute, she runs perfect again for the rest of the ride.

Here's what I know:

It had the problem with my old carbs, but I've replaced both carbs, and it still does exactly the same thing, so it seems unlikely to be the carbs.

There is no rust or sediment in my fuel.

If I pull the fuel line, it runs strong and free, to the bottom of the tank, so it doesen't seem to be something getting sucked into the petcock screens.

If I go to "prime" during the problem, it makes no difference.

The fuel line is stock, about 4" long, and straight.

It does the same thing with the gas cap off.

There's no afterfireing as you would expect if the ignition was cutting out.

This is just a mystery to me. I would sure like to hear if anyone has any ideas!

Comment

Woohoo! That was it! I pulled the carb vent lines, and the mystery vanished! No more running out of gas with a full tank, and runs better than ever! Houndog, I bet that's your answer too! It sure is an easy thing to try! I'd love to hear back if you try it and it works. Thanks to Keith Krause for the answer.

Comment

Working...
                        X