Clutch Cable Routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Cable Routing

I recently received a large box of parts from Bikebandit.com (God I Love Them!!!) for my GS850L (1982) and began replacing parts as needed. 3 of the parts are cables: Clutch cable, Tach cable, and Speedo cable. The clutch cable had apparently been replaced with one from another bike, and I am not sure it was routed correctly. It went from the grip lever down the handlebars, between carbs #2 and #3, and then to the crankcase mounted adjustment screw. To make sure this is correct before I install the new one, how is it routed on a stock original bike? Also, the clutch cable was broken in half, so I need to know how it is routed as well. Pictures would be nice. I just don't want to run the risk of pinching or breaking one of the new ones.

Scott

Don't know about all manuals, but my Clymer manual has cable routing diagrams for my 1100E. Take a look at one or maybe someone has a pic from a manual that shows this.

Comment

Re: Clutch Cable Routing

Originally posted by sarge75801
      I recently received a large box of parts from Bikebandit.com (God I Love Them!!!) for my GS850L (1982) and began replacing parts as needed. 3 of the parts are cables: Clutch cable, Tach cable, and Speedo cable. The clutch cable had apparently been replaced with one from another bike, and I am not sure it was routed correctly. It went from the grip lever down the handlebars, between carbs #2 and #3, and then to the crankcase mounted adjustment screw. To make sure this is correct before I install the new one, how is it routed on a stock original bike? Also, the clutch cable was broken in half, so I need to know how it is routed as well. Pictures would be nice. I just don't want to run the risk of pinching or breaking one of the new ones.

Scott
      On my 850L and any other 850G the clutch cable is routed thru and between the 1 and 2 carbs (forward side of carbs) as it would make too sharp a turn between the 2 and 3 cabs, you should also see a metal wire screwed to the carb mounting gang bar between the 1 and 2 carb to help hold the clutch cable in position, then just make sure the cable makes no really sharp bends while routing and you'll be OK with long cable life.

Comment

Routing between #1 & #2 on my 1100GK as well. And yes, the folks at BikeBandit do have their moments.

Comment

Working...
        X