Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Signals.... No Wink Action

Hey,
    Long story short I broke one of my signals so I got a nice little cheap set via ebay, heres a link of what I got,

Well I got them this evening and am having problems with them blinking, they seem to just be turning on, not on and off... the wiring seems to be correct, it dosnt seem to care color coded wise, (red to the positive, black to ground and vice verca.... the bulbs wouldnt make a diffrence would they?
    PS they look real nice with my mini mirrors in the same shape. Thanks-darren

the bulbs wouldnt make a diffrence would they?
    Sure might. If the bulbs do not place enough load on the flasher unit, it will not operate properly. LED signals have this problem all the time because they draw almost no current. The answer there is to add a resistor into the circuit to draw enough current to activate the flasher. I see your bulbs are only 8w and the stockers are 23w (I think). It is possible you need to add in a resistor or extra light bulb to increase the current draw. An alternative is to replace the OEM flasher with a new solid state unit that will flash regardless of the load placed on it. You can find one of the electronic flashers at your local auto parts store for a few $$. Considering the original is 20+ years old, it's not a bad thing to replace anyway.

Mark

Comment

Cool, thanks a lot man. Where would the stocker be located? Is it the standard little round cylidrical shaped doo-dad? Thanks again-darren

Comment

I would worry about going from 23W down to 8W. You are not getting the visibilty you once had.

Comment

actually they are respectivly bright, I dunno why but they seem just as noticable as stock... Anyone know where the winker is located?Thanks-darren

Comment

Originally posted by speedy400
            actually they are respectivly bright, I dunno why but they seem just as noticable as stock... Anyone know where the winker is located?Thanks-darren
            no idea, but it'll look like a little metal cylinder, about 1"x1"

Comment

Anyone know where the winker is located?
              Not off hand, but my bet would be under the seat in the airbox/battery area.

Mark

Comment

Mine is located behind the right hand side panel, this is on a 1980 GS 1000g .

Comment

The flasher on my '79 750E is on the left hand side behind the side cover next to the fuse block.

I too am having a siglnal problem. When I got the bike 2 months ago, the right signal never blinked, found it was a loose wire, taped it into place so it would work, and now, I only get signals intermittently, on both left and right sides. It seems like if I turn the bike to the left, the left signal will work some of the time, etc. and now, the right signal only glows, no flashing if it does decide to turn on at all...

Does this seem like a wiring problem, or something similar like the above, where there may not be enough draw? Or maybe a combination of these problems?

Comment

Working...
                  X