Hairline crack in rear disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hairline crack in rear disc

I noticed a very fine fissure in my rear brake the other day. It's about an inch long and it goes through from inner face, to outer face.

While I know it needs to be replaced, I just wanted to check on the immediacy. Such as- should I, under no circumstances ride the bike until I swap it out, or would a few short rides be acceptable?

Chris
    1982 GS850G

I wouldn't ride it .

Comment

I wouldn't ride it .
      I'll second that. When brake discs fail, they do so explosively, even if you are not using that brake when it blows. I would not chance it for the sake a few joy rides. If I noticed it at work I would ride it home (very carefully) and park it, but it would not move again until the problem was corrected. Other than that situation, it would not run until I had it fixed. Your life is just not worth pushing it for a quick ride. And yes, it is that serious if things go wrong. 8O You will miss a week or two of riding and that sucks (my riding season is maybe 5 months long at best, so I understand the urgency), but crashing because of a brake failure and killing/maiming yourself will mess up riding FOREVER.

Mark

Comment

If you must ride. Simply refrain from using the rear brake and keep a low speed. Get it replaced dood.

Comment

Well, I suppose I knew the answer all along, just wanted someone to scold me for even thinking about riding...

As it stands, I need a new battery anyway, so while it's charging up (assuming of course I find the right size) I'll give the guy I met last weekend a call-

I was playing pool in the corner bar and a friend of the family was there. After he left, I was asking my pool opponent how he knew my friend. As it turns out, they know each other because of a local motorcycle club, and this guy I just met learned to ride on an 83 GS850. He lives a block away from me, and as far as I can tell (hope it wasn't drunk talk) will give me the whole parts bike free, so I have a replacement disc lined up, along with much more stuff than I can use/store...

GS angels are on my side I suppose

Comment

Working...
          X