where else should i look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where else should i look?

juicy new battery. new solenoid. new fuses. new starter motor! click click click.

click click click.

god it's a beautiful day.

Bummer

That's terrible! Even though you have a new battery, it sure sounds like it's dead. Are you sure it's charged up good?
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

started doing this about two months ago. swore it was the battery. wasn't. thing's juiced all the way. starts my buddy's bike just fine. changed the solenoid, which was the source of the clicking sound. even put in a new starter motor. i'm an electrical neophyte, but hell. i'm stumped.

Comment

anyone know where the starter relay is on this thing?

Comment

kept at it, and eventually got a struggling sound. then nothing at all. not even a click.

Comment

whats the voltage AT the starter? you may have some corrosion in the wire or at the ends...

Comment

Stop throwing money at the bike and buy a multimeter. As stated in the previous post, start at the starter and check for voltage when you try to start. If voltage is below, say 8 to 10 volts, then follow the wire back up to the next point, on the solenoid and check there. Then try the big wire on the opposite side of the solenoid, and see if the voltage in it is less than 8 to 10 volts when trying to start. When you get all done with this, replace your bad battery cable. Note, it could also be the battery ground cable that is bad or a poor ground wire from the engine to the chassis.

A tiny wire can carry 12 volts with no load. A bad/corroded battery cable can have 12 volts in it but only have the capability to carry a small amount of current. So all you get is click click click.

Comment

After doing all of the electrical testing check the brushes in the starter. The positive brush may be worn out. Screwing the starter together too tightly will also do this.

Steve

Comment

thanks. should've thrown down for a nice little digital multimeter a long time ago. twenty bucks at radio shack.

xoxo
                  jonah

Comment

Harbor Freight had meters for $2.99 last week

Comment

Working...
                    X