82' GS400L weird problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82' GS400L weird problem

So i have a GS400L that i've recently rejetted with a 125 jet (120 stock) since i have K&N' air filters, and a breathing exhuast (baffles removed) My question is this. When i am in gears 1-4, i can rev up to the red line just fine, but when i'm in 5 th or 6th gear, the engine won't rev past 6000 RPM even at full throttle. Any ideas?

To lean,and if you have pod filters , very lean.
    Do not ride it like that for to long or.....................('')

Comment

Pods and an exhaust, will generally mean 2 to 3 sizes up on the mains.
      Dink

Comment

Aprox 135 main, and lift the needle one notch,adjust idle mix to get the highest idle on each cylinder.
        Use the main idle screw to bring both carby's back to the right idle rpm.
        Balance the carby's .
        Go out and do spark plug reading's.
        If your not ok with anything I have said, just ask.

Comment

hwo do you lift the needle one notch?

Comment

Take the top of the carbys,take the slide out and you will see the needle.Now you will generaly need long nose circlip pliers to remove the needle.
            If it is an adjustable needle it will have 5 grooves in it, to raise remove the little clip and replace it on the next groove down.
            If they are not adjustable take it to an electronics store and buy some tiny washers that you can use as spacers to raise them.

Comment

Oh, and make certain your valve adjustment & ignition timing are OK, or you will not be able to balance your carb's properly.

Comment

would 132.5 or 137.5 jets work? i can't find anyone in my area that has 135's

Comment

137.5,safer to be a little rich than lean.

Comment

So i put in the jets and all that stuff. but now i'm confused.. the carbuerators i have are different from the handbook that i own.. I don't know where are the air adjust screws are, nor the throttle sync screw. Help!?!?
                    here are some pictures

Oh yea, what are those bolts on the bottom of the float bowls?

Comment

OK you have CV carby's,if you look at your picture at the bottom ,right in the centre of the picture thats your sync screw,I would say one carb is fixted so you will be adjusting the other one to match.
                      In the same picture on the engine side of the carby's they are your idle mix screws, turning out is rich, in lean,to start you off you can set them 1 1/2 to 2 turns out.
                      You don't have air adjust screws.
                      In the centre picture the large knob is your idle control, it adjusts both carb's at once.
                      See how you go.

Comment

Oh, and those bolts at the bottom of the bowls, drain's.

Comment

okay now that is settled, where do i connect the hoses of the carb sync on my carb?

Comment

In the rubber inlet manifolds there is a screw, remove the screw .
                            In it's place an adaptor screws in, it's a tube with a thread on one end.
                            As you have the carb's off,replace the large rubber O rings between the manifold's and the head.
                            They will prob feel like plastic now,so they are stuffed!
                            Put a little hi temp grease on the new one's.

Comment

and might i ask where are these inlet manifolds located at? sorry for nagging you've been a great deal of help gspaul

Comment

Working...
                              X