Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 petcock

Hi everyone!
    I bought a 1980 550L with a leaking petcock, He told me it leaked. $400.00 bucks for it was to good to pass up. got it for my 18 y/o son to learn on and ride.
    I bought a new petcock off ebay. $42.28 delivered.
    This year petcock has no lever on it, only a slot that looks like a small scewdriver will turn it.
    Looking at the petcock, At 11:00 oclock on it is the letters PRI. At 12:00 oclock there seems to small raised arrow pointing down. no other marks! I guess they have no reserve on this model. I am sure I will have to prime the carbs as I keep just enough gas in it to start it now and then.
    How do I prime this bike and then return it to the run position?
    I did use the search feature and found no answer for this. Tech area also with no luck.
    I am glad I found this board! Ive ridden the bike a few times now, These Gs bikes are quite neat!
    The amount of information you all have here is awsome!!!
    Thank you
    marty

1980 GS 550 L
    1995 Shadow 1100 ace
    1988 Shadow vlx 600

It's a complete vacuum system
    Same as on my 1980 GS1000S.

Once the bike is started, like after sitting for the winter, leave it horizontal, this is "on" it will go over to reserve on it's own.

If you have agas guage, and trip meter, learn how far you can go and where the guage sits for how many gallons you've used.
    My tank is 5.5 gls US.
    When it hits the red mark on the guage I look for afuel station,quickly.
    I have about 1 gl left. Or about 200 miles used.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Hey Keith,

I was unaware that turning the "slot" did anything on the '80 petcocks. Someone once said that turning it did absolutely nothing. Are you sure there is actually a difference depending on position?

Thanks!
      Steve 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
        Hey Keith,

I was unaware that turning the "slot" did anything on the '80 petcocks. Someone once said that turning it did absolutely nothing. Are you sure there is actually a difference depending on position?

Thanks!
        Steve 8)
        Yes.

It moves the internal valve to allow prime.
        I tried it a few times, just to make sure it worked.
        I needed it again this spring. The S sat for almost a year, elctrical
        Tried a 130 watt bulb 8O and fried some wiring and the fuse block....
        Now that it's fixed, many $$$$,yes 4 figures
        It runs fine.

It does work, at least on mine there is adifference.
        I used it a few times to drain the tank, like this year and it still works.

Don't know who said otherwise, but I can prove mine works.
        Keith
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

KGB,
          Thanks for the info! I think I understand what ya said. But I am a little fuzzy on one part of this.
          Do I turn the petcock to prime manualy, And then it automaticaly resets to the run position once it starts running? So do I turn the slot vertical to prime with a screwdriver., And then it resets itself to a horizontal run position itself after its running.
          Jeepers, Ive changed petcocks on both of my shadows, but this vacuum type is new to me!
          I know there is gas in my oil so that is getting changed along with the petcock.
          Thanks Guys, This board rocks!
          marty

1980 GS 550 L
          1995 Shadow 1100 Ace
          1988 Shadow vlx 600

Comment

The correct starting prodedure for that petcock is: turn the slot to vertical, which is prime. Start/crank the engine. This petcock needs engine cranking vacuum to make the fuel flow, even in the prime position. Once the bike starts and is operating smoothly, turn the slot to horizontal, which is on.
            There is no reserve as said earlier. You need to watch the speedo and learn what your mileage is.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thank you!
              Pat yourselfs on the back!!! this is a great place!
              Glad I found you all!
              I'am very pleased with the brotherhood shone on this board!
              marty

Comment

If the petcock needs vacuum to make fuel flow in the run position, why do you need to put it on pri. if it will still need vacuum for fuel to flow?

Comment

I agree with rphilips. If you needed vac to operate prime, it would be no different from run.

Comment

Originally posted by 3phase
                    I agree with rphilips. If you needed vac to operate prime, it would be no different from run.
                    I've wondered the same thing.
                    I can see the need for a gravity fed prime, but not a prime that still needs cranking vacuum to operate. It seems that you would just have two "ons" then.
                    I'm just telling you what the Suzuki factory manual says about its operation. And it says the engine must be cranking to initiate fuel flow, even in the prime position.
                    The 1980 petcock always was an oddball.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I suspect that we now know why this design was abandoned, either that or the manual may have had a typo.

Comment

I suspect that we now know why this design was abandoned, either that or the manual may have had a typo.
                        Well, I don't know. I'm just glad I don't have one of em'.
                        KGB says he has one and he drained the tank with it in prime. I don't know if he "initiated fuel flow" by first cranking the engine and it just continued to flow after he stopped cranking? I'm sure you wouldn't crank it the entire time until the tank was dry. If he did neither, and the tank drained, then the manual's wrong I guess. The diaphragm/parts illustration of the 80 petcock IS different than the '79 petcock in the same manual.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                          Well, I don't know. I'm just glad I don't have one of em'.
                          KGB says he has one and he drained the tank with it in prime. I don't know if he "initiated fuel flow" by first cranking the engine and it just continued to flow after he stopped cranking? I'm sure you wouldn't crank it the entire time until the tank was dry. If he did neither, and the tank drained, then the manual's wrong I guess. The diaphragm/parts illustration of the 80 petcock IS different than the '79 petcock in the same manual.

I opened the fuel cap and it flowed.
                          I guess once any pressure in the system was released, it let it flow.
                          Unless mine is defective, which if it is after 16 years.....I'd have found out.
                          This does need to be put back to "normal" horizontal position after starting. It does NOT go back on it's own.
                          Suzuki is good, but not that good

Be careful you don't crimp the gasket around the petcock when re-installing it.
                          Keith
                          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Comment

Keith, just curious. If you have a factory manual for your bike, does it say the same thing about the engine must be cranking to initiate fuel flow, even in the prime position? I have the manual that covers the '79 model line and also the '80 GS1000E/ST.

Comment

Keith,
                              All I have is a clymer, British version.

When I swapped tanks a few years ago, I drained it thru the petcock.
                              Opened the cap and it flowed.
                              Keith
                              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Comment

Working...
                              X