HELP!! - I'm in DEEP DOO DOO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!! - I'm in DEEP DOO DOO

I was attempting to change out the rear wheel with one I acquired with a good tire before my long trip. I was following the Clymer :twisted: manual which says to brace the center stand with the screwdriver from the tool kit. Well, you guessed it. The bike fell off the center stand and onto the rear wheel. Luckily it didn't fall over. I have it propped up with some bricks.
    How on earth am I going to get this thing up high enough to get it back on the center stand. It must have falled down a good 10". I was thinking if I could get a floor jack under it right in the middle of the center stand pivot maybe there would be enough clearance to jack it up. Prolly gonna take three big guys to raise it. Man this is the biggest foul up I have ever accomplished I am supposed to be going on a long trip on Thursday.
    PLEASE HELP!! Ideas welcome!.

If you have one beefy person lift straight up on the back end while you stand on the center stand pad and lift from the handle like normal, it'll come right up. These bikes aren't as heavy as you'd think. I can pick up the rear of my 1100 and scoot it sideways by myself.

Comment

You could put the bike on its side and slap the tire on. Then lift the bike up from the side. It will likely loose some fuel but not oil.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
        If you have one beefy person lift straight up on the back end while you stand on the center stand pad and lift from the handle like normal, it'll come right up. These bikes aren't as heavy as you'd think. I can pick up the rear of my 1100 and scoot it sideways by myself.
        Oh I hope your right and thanks for quick response. I hope I can round up someone tomorrow to help. It is tricky to try to balance the weight with out having it fall over. I don't want to get anyone hurt. Really dumb mistake. If I would have read the threads on rear tire change I probably could have avoided this mess. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by srivett2
          You could put the bike on its side and slap the tire on. Then lift the bike up from the side. It will likely loose some fuel but not oil.

Steve
          Never thought of that. But would there be enough clearance to get the axle out? I have crashbars but not sure if the rear mufflers would get dented or bent. :?

Comment

Try to find a friend or unsuspecting neighbor first...

Comment

yeah, my bike fell off the jack stand when the front wheel was off, and luckily I was able to catch it, but it was seriously scary

Comment

EZOut: No idea about the axle, I wouldn't touch a shaftie with a 10 foot pole. I guess it would depend on which side you lay the bike down. If you can locate an old mattress there shouldn't be any damage. I've seen a few bikes fall (some of them mine) and it's usually the shifter/brake and levers that get bent. The mufflers are quite tough.

Steve

Comment

If you lived next to:

You could ask for a hand..

Comment

Originally posted by back_online
                    If you lived next to:

You could ask for a hand..
                    Like I don't feel inadequate enough already!

BTW - I propped up one side with some bricks under the header pipes and stabilized the bike enough to try lifting it from the rear. I removed the tank and battery as a precaution and I was able to raise it a few inches. If I can find another pair of hands today, I should be able to raise it while someone slides the shock onto the top stud. Then I'm back in business.

Comment

Well thanks to you folks on the site and to my neighbor, I have the bike back on it's center stand. Only casualty - broken right side cover.
                      Now I can't figure out where to brace the center stand, nor how to hold the swing arm up on the 850 GL. The pictures in the Clymer show things that don't exist on my bike.

Comment

If your bike's like mine it is front heavy and naturally rests on the front wheel when on the centerstand leaving the rear wheel up in the air about 3 or 4 inches. When I changed my rear tire I put a 3ft. length of 2x4 lumber under the centerstand to give myself two more inches to work with. I was also wondering if the whole kit and kaboodle was going to come crashing down. My bike only weighs 400lbs. so it wasn't a problem. If it were an 850 I think I would have blocked the front wheel to prevent it from rolling forward off the stand and tied the centerstand to the frame or exhaust with some rope to prevent it from folding up. Even with the small bike and light wheel/tire it was a wrestling match to get back together. I had to drop both shocks to get the swing arm low enough to get the wheel/tire out so to reassemble was supporting the swing arm with the left and juggling the axle and spacers with the right and balancing the wheel/tire with my knees... you get the picture? Took me about 4 hrs. to change the tire incl. mounting the new tire on the rim. You might want to let a bike shop do it for you. I was thinking the whole time I did mine; "I'm getting too old for this nonsense"...

Comment

Working...
                        X