Gas tank interchange for a GS750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank interchange for a GS750?

I was wondering what gas tanks from the other GS models will interchange with a 1981 GS750T... Does anyone know?
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

You can always go to bikebandit.com and compare parts fiches if no one has an answer right away. Many (or all) L models had different mounting dimensions than the others, though I think the T models are very similar to L so I'm not sure where that stands. 850s I believe have the same frame but the tanks are bigger, maybe they would fit though. In any event L tanks are in my view too small, so you probably don't want to use one of those anyway.

Comment

Oops, I just read in another thread that the 850 used the 1000 frame, which I'm guessing is slightly bigger. It's still a bored out 750 motor though. I'm not sure if the extra dimension would affect the tank or not. Very possible you're stuck with a 750 tank. Why do you want to replace it, is it too small or is it just naff? It might be worth a little fabrication if you are looking for a bigger tank. All the L tanks (even on the 'big boy' 850s) are a measly 3.4 or so gallons, a regular 750 tank for '79 is 4.8, which gives me about 200 miles to empty if I stuff the thing. The regular 850 tanks are over 5 gallons I believe, which is a nice thing. There's a German GS site with tons of technical specs, but it seems to be offline at the moment so I can't send you there.

Comment

Wow, I had no idea the 850 tanks were so big!
        I'm running a 750L and it's 3.4 gallons. I'm going to see if I can get one of those bigger tanks to fit.

It probably won't fit but it's worth a looksie...

Comment

I have a 1981 GS750T I just bought. The only reason I want to change the tank is because I am mildly crazy... There is sun fading on the paint of the tank, and the rest of the bike could almost pass for a 5 year old bike.
          2010 Honda VFR1200F
          Being Revisited
          1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Just a little note on the mounting differences between the L and the T...I ride and L and have a spare tank from a T that I was thinking of mounting, but can't. The L has on center mounting hole in the back and tne T has two, one on each side. Also, the petcock is further forward on the T...not sure if there would ba a problem there.
            1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
            The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Yeah, the petcock comes close to the carbs on the L-model tank.

If it's even closer on the T-model that would definitely not work.

Comment

While we're talking about it...Does anybody know of a bigger tank that will fit a 450L? I would like to be able to ride a little bit farther without stopping for gas.
                1981 GS 450L

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Where exactly do the bolts go on the T model 750 tank? Does anyone have a picture? My bikes tank is not bolted down...
                  2010 Honda VFR1200F
                  Being Revisited
                  1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd
                    My bikes tank is not bolted down...
                    Don't feel bad dude, mine isn't either. I lost that bolt/washer/rubber bushing thingie ages ago hehehe.

Luckily my "L" only has one. I believe the "T" has two of them.

Comment

I'd post a pic but doing that on this site is nearly impossible. If you pm me an email address, I'll take a picture of the T tank I have and send it to you. The petcock location is a big thing too. I've thought about having a center mounting tab welded on, but the petcock stopped me.
                      1981 GS 450L

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd
                        I was wondering what gas tanks from the other GS models will interchange with a 1981 GS750T... Does anyone know?
                        NONE as the GS750T was only made in 1982 and 1983 model years.

Comment

Actually the bike was made from 1981-1983. And no (to my own question), if you can't find a T-tank... Good luck.

So somebody should buy my spare if their's is looking ratty
                          2010 Honda VFR1200F
                          Being Revisited
                          1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd View Post
                            Actually the bike was made from 1981-1983. And no (to my own question), if you can't find a T-tank... Good luck.

So somebody should buy my spare if their's is looking ratty
                            Do you still have the 750T fuel tank? I recently just bought this bike and there are about 100 rust holes in it. If you do please call me at 805-217-8922. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X