bike won't fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike won't fire

i recently replaced my rr and stator on my 84 gs750. the bike ran fine for a few days and then one morening i went to start it and it wouldn't fire. i just the carbs and they have fuel in them. plugs lookde pretty dirty so i replaced them and got it to fire up, but it would not idle and die out if i reved it up at all. since then it has not started again. is it possible i messed up the ignition timing when i put the new stator in? the engine was running strong for the first little bit afer the parts were replaced.

Time for a sanity check.
    Are you getting the appropriate voltage readings (measured at the battery terminals) at 2500 and 5000 RPM?
    If not, then it's time to go to the stator papers in the garage section of this site - this will allow you to diagnose the problem. It may just be a faulty connection, since you just intsalled the r/r and stator.
    Also, the stator will not affect ignition timing.

Comment

The charging system should not affect running or ignition. The bike will run off the battery with the stator and RR disconnected. Check your ignitor and coil connections, clean and check the entire harness for good measure if you're so inclined, and pull a spark plug wire, install a spare spark plug (new if available), ground it and crank to see if there is spark at the plug. A fat blue spark is nice but not absolutely necessary. If there is spark, you have a fuel issue. Back to basics, the motor needs fuel/air mix and spark to run, at least for a while. The bike should actually run with no charging system for several hours if the lights are off and about 90 minutes with lights on (with a fully charged battery). btdt (been there done that).

Comment

i pulled the plugs out and they all still look brand new. they are getting a decent spark and i checked the carb bowles and there is gas in them.... the last thing i did before the problem started was fix part of the choke linkage that had come apart, but it was a very simple little fix and i can't see how it would have caused such a major problem.. anyone have any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
        X