rear wheel bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear wheel bearing

Hi everyone another bike another project. I am replacing the rear wheel bearings on the 1982 GS1100E. After taking the sprocket hub off the wheel, I punched out the bearings on a trash can. what I got is about 4" long spacer between the bearings. Before punching the bearings out, I dont remember the 4" spacer being loose between the bearings, after instaling the new bearings the spacer felt very loose in the middle. did I loose any part? I checked my manual it does not show more then one spacer. can someone tell me if It is okay? thanks

ard

That is the only part in there. Sound like one of the bearings is not fully seated. It won't be rigid tight when you put it together, but it should not flop around in there either. You should be able to shift it around with a drift, or maybe your finger.

Kenny

Comment

I 2nd that. When both bearings are fully seated, the spacer has about 1/32" gap before it would be tight to both bearings. Sounds like you dont have a bearing quite seated. (just replaced the rear wheel bearings on my 83 1100) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by KennyJ
      That is the only part in there. Sound like one of the bearings is not fully seated. It won't be rigid tight when you put it together, but it should not flop around in there either. You should be able to shift it around with a drift, or maybe your finger.

Kenny
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Wow i thought i was the only one with this same problem. Heres my thinking i am doing this project now also. The bearing on the brake side is a no brainer as it is easy to just full seat. But on the hub side you have two spacers to deal with.I noticed if you look at the marks were the old bearing was you should be ok the problem here is you must set the bearing height on this side.. If you push the bearing down to far to make the center spacer tight then the spacer in the hub will be loose after much tinkering (and ruining new bearings i have decided to leave the small gap in the center spacer as this looks like what the factory did ??? I have the suzuki oe manual and it is no help here. I am just going to grease the bolt a lot so the spacer wont vibrate and make noise.

Comment

Whenever I've done this job (a few times now on various machines) I just drive the bearings home as far as they will reasonably go (using an old bearing shell as a drift), push the axle through the bearing inner shells and the inner spacer thingy, and then just do things up as per the manual. If either of the bearings aren't fully seated, then doing up the axle nut to the specified torque will pull things into line. At least, that's the assumption I've always worked on... you guys have got me worried now .

Mike.

Comment

Working...
          X