No announcement yet.

GS450 Engine only starts cold with choke out + 3 min warm up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was probably not too helpful with the two twists of the throttle before starting. Seemed to help me at the time. But now that I have been down for two weeks with the dreaded charging issue I believe that my problem all along was the charging issue itself. After using a 2amp charge to get the battery back to perform "stator papers" tests the bike would kick over immediately, on the first try and cold. Seems like a low battery would crank the starter but would not crank it fast enough to really get the motor over. On a full charge it kicked right over every time.

Comment

Don't blame the bike totally until you get the battery tested. The guy I bought my bike from didn't relieze that you had to fill the battery before you charged it. Needless to say, my battery is not all the reliable. If the bike sits for more than two weeks the battery needs to be charged. If it is run regularly, its fine. Have the barrtery tested before you start changing parts on the bike.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

G'day All,

I have now gone through the Stator Papers tests with the following results.

With the bike off the voltage of the battery is: 12.50 V
        With the bike turned on and idling the voltage is 12.80 V
        With the bike reving at 5000 13.50 V

After a couple of weeks and only 3-4 15 minute rides (all I got time for!)
        With the bike off the voltage of the battery is: 12.40 V
        With the bike turned on the voltage is 12.40 V
        With the bike reving at 5000 12.80 V

All the connection tests passed.
        All the stator tests passed.
        I couldn't do the r/r test because my multi-meter does not have a diode test. However I've done the resistance test in the suzuki Heynes manual. When I put my multimeter in the resistance mode it starts with the number 1 on the left hand side. When I carried all the r/r resistance tests including the backwards ones, the multimeter stayed at 1, I can only assume that there is no continuity on all tests, I did not get any ohm readings even on the ones which were supposed to get readings.
        According to this test it would seem my r/r is faulty.

Also when the bike is off I have found a leaking current of about 0.000200 amps (200 micro amps), I don't know if this is enough to drain the battery though.

My initial problem was a dead battery and fluctuating voltage when idling.
        Since then I have recharged the battery, I have noticed the voltage sliding but not gone.

Does it sound like it is the r/r, does it look like the battery is also faulty as it does not charge to 13 V?

Many Thanks,

gs450dave.

Comment

Working...
        X