Motorcycle Starters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle Starters

Last night I finished my second starter teardown this year, on two different bikes. It looks like they spin all the time, unlike a car starter. If that's the case, do they have anything to do with a bike's charging system? I'm learning as I go, and don't know much about the electrical system.

I had to remove the timing chain tensioner on my 450 to get the starter out earlier this year. I cleaned up the starter, and put it back in without replacing anything. When the bike went out of service last year, I was getting more of a clicking noise than the buzzing that another writer described. The cleanup fixed the problem, but I should've replaced the brushes. This has been a dependable bike, and usually fires right up even after it's sat for a while.

The starter on my new 750 failed all of a sudden, with no grinding, clicking (except from the relay or solenoid), or anything. When I opened it up, it was shot, with lots of brush debris inside. A brush plate repair kit and a good cleaning has apparently fixed it. I didn't remove the gas tank, etc. as Clymer suggests to get the starter out, and the tensioner stayed in place as well. This bike can be just a little cantankerous after sitting (2wks in this case), but runs great warmed up and is a lot of fun.

Good for you!

Comment

No, GS starters are not part of the charging system. The charging system consists of the battery, a magnet and stator on the crankshaft (left side on my bikes), and the regulator/rectifier, usually under the left body panel.

Electrical diagrams for several models are available at http://www.smokeriders.com/diagrams/, if you're interested.

Michael

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

I lost the starter last year on my 850. Starter was junk completely torn up inside. Replaced the starter & it has worked fine. I suspect the starter soloniod stuck, I never did find out why

Comment

The starter should not go all the time. If it does it is either the starter solenoid sticking on, or most likely a sticking starter motor clutch, in which case the starter is spun to death by the motor.

Comment

Re: Motorcycle Starters

The starter is only energized and runs when the starter button is pushed.
              Its clutch is a sprague clutch, which locks in one direction and freewheels in the other. The starter is disengaged when the engine is running and has nothing to do with the charging system other than drawing current to turn the engine over when you start the bike.

Earl

[quote="JMHJ"]Last night I finished my second starter teardown this year, on two different bikes. It looks like they spin all the time, unlike a car starter. If that's the case, do they have anything to do with a bike's charging system? I'm learning as I go, and don't know much about the electrical system.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

M/C Starters, More

OK, more good info. Thanks. I'll have to rethink how I put the starter back together. There was a washer-looking piece with four turned tabs on it that I'm not sure I put in the right way. The shaft with the teeth didn't look like it moved much in or out with the starter assembled, so I thought maybe it stayed engaged all the time. - Mike

Comment

It's not like a car starter. The starter & the starter idler gear are always engaged. When the starter is used the starter turns the gear which turns a one way starter clutch mounted to the back of the Rotor When the bike starts the starter clutch disconnects

Comment

I get it now. Thanks for the help. Mine seems to be working fine. - Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X