No announcement yet.

Idle surging high and staying...runs ok except for...GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I have already suggested, the choke plunger pads may not be sealing. Next time your idle shoots up, jiggle or bump the choke rod to the shut position. If the idle drops at least for awhile, you know that the pads are either hardened or indented badly and not allowing a consistant seal.

Comment

Heheh...I had this same problem when I built my GS750L ratbike.
      After putting the carbs on and startng it up the bike would immediately jump to 3500 rpm and stay there.

I couldn't figure out why! I cleaned and reinstalled everything and doublechecked it all.

Turns out I had the throttle cable adjusted too tight at the carbs!!
      It was pulling the throttle plates partially open as if I was twisting the throttle!

A minor adjustment of proper slack amount cured everything.

:P

Comment

well I am perplexed abit now. I do have about 1/8" of slack in throttle cable, I could totally loosen it back off and try it. It just has to be getting the air from somewhere. I know I will need to jet it. It has good throttle response and snap, but its not as stong of power as it could be. Its play time for me.

Comment

I know I will need to jet it. It has good throttle response and snap, but its not as stong of power as it could be.
          Your setup is pretty close to mine. I have an 82 1100E with Kerker 4-1 pipe and pods. It is a Canadian model and comes with adjustable needles stock. I am at:

pilot jet - 47.5 (stock)
          mixture screws 3 turns out
          main jets - 142.5
          needles on #3 of 5 grooves

If you have the adjustable needles on your bike these settings will get you to a decent starting point to work from. If you do not have adjustable needles, try shimming them about 0.020"-0.040" and use the other settings as a starting point. I live at 3400ft, so if you are lower than that, you may want to work from a slightly richer starting point.

Mark

Comment

Great, thanks help. I think I have alot of backup now to go through and do a full check of everything. Just need alittle cool time to work. Its been hitting over 100 degrees here in sacramento. No delta breeze and humid, feels like 120!!!

Comment

Working...
            X