Cylinder head compatibility between models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder head compatibility between models

This may be a bit technical but my bike's been burning oil so I've been checking Ebay periodically for a cylinder head so I could rebuild it and not rip my bike apart for a long time and have a spare in case I bunk something up due to being a novice.

I recently saw this head on ebay and got to wondering if it would fit my bike so I did some research. My bike is a 1983 GS750TD and this is what I found on Bike Bandit.com.

1982 Suzuki GS750EZ Cylinder Head Part # 475622-001
    1982 Suzuki GS750TZ Cylinder Head Part # 475622-001
    1983 Suzuki GS750TD Cylinder Head Part # 475623-001
    1983 Suzuki GS750ED Cylinder Head Part # 475585-001
    1983 Suzuki GS750ESD Cylinder Head Part # 475585-001
    1983 Suzuki GS750SD Cylinder Head Part # 475623-001

Basically they are off by 1 number and I'm thinking that structurally the same but numbered differently because the 83 model is painted black and the 82 is silver?

So does anyone know if this is the case and if this price is decent?

Sounds about right. Between years, it's possible the only change to the motor was new cam timing. The price seems great, so far...
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If no one has any direct experience with this, Is there a possibility that there are other parts which would also make a direct comparison between the two heads?

Perhaps if they had the same head gaskets, as they do:

1982 Suzuki GS750EZ Cylinder Head Gasket Part # 475859-001
      1982 Suzuki GS750TZ Cylinder Head Gasket Part # 475859-001
      1983 Suzuki GS750TD Cylinder Head Gasket Part # 475859-001
      1983 Suzuki GS750ED Cylinder Head Gasket Part # 475823-001

Is this enough information to make a reasonable assumption that my previous statement that they are structurally the same and merely different colors is true.

Comment

It would be best to get the cams with it so that any wear patterns match properly. The difference in the part numbers may be due to gasket composition, Earlfor would be the one I would PM about it.

YOu might ask the seller to do a leakdown test with diesel fuel or kerosene and see if the valves are leaking or not. He might not want to bother with the trouble.

Without a leakdown test you may need to have the valves done so bid accordingly.

How is the Busa?
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

The difference in the part numbers may be due to gasket composition, Earlfor would be the one I would PM about it.
          What are you refering to here. The gaskets are identical according to bike bandit but the head's have different part numbers. With identical gaskets I'm going to assume that the head will 'bolt up' to my block.

I didn't really think about getting the cams too. I didn't even check for them on ebay but I think they are probably available. Trouble is that if I win one auction I'd have to win the other one and if one goes sky high I'm SOL. This is starting to seem like it could become cost prohibitive if it plays out the wrong way.

It seems like its time to go buy that compression checker tool and see what's the dealio.

And the Busa dirty but otherwise good. Got caught in the rain 2 or 3 days on the way home from work last week and haven't had time to wash it.

Comment

All of your part numbers had the word gasket so I was wondering if the difference was in what the gasket is made from.

There may be differences in the camshafts, port sizes or shapes, or even the combustion chamber sizes if the heads have different part numbers.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
            X