Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STILL LEAKING $%$##!!!

OK
    I have replaced all the lower gaskets, and I'm still leaking oil. My mech says I need a crush washer for my oil drain plug. Folks I am ready to toss this thing. Please help.

Matt, I went back as far in your old posts as the forum would let me. Is it the 1983 1100E oil filter cover problem?

Comment

Which bike do you have?

I have an 850, and it had what I thought was a leak problem down below. It always seemed to accumulate on the pipes and make really smelly smoke when running. I thought it was the lower "pan" gasket so I replaced it. It still leaked.

In the end it turned out to be gear oil that was coming from the overfill vent on the top of engine case/secondary gear box. Someone before me had overfilled the secondary gear box, and it was going out through this vent, into a tube that then ran through the starter "cavity," and then drained into the drain hole below the starter. This drain hole led down the left side of my lower engine case, and eventually onto my pipe and the ground.

In the end, I drained the secondary gear box by opening the level plug and letting it drain for about 40 minutes. Most of the excess (almost a pint) drained off in about 15 minutes, but I let it drain just to be sure the gear box's oil level was spot on with the level plug. I also replaced the gasket on the plug with a new fiber washer from the hardware store.

Hope that helps some.

Comment

Dude, I feel for ya. I just went through this. All I can say is make sure it's not the little things... read on...

I swore to friggin god I had a base gasket leak. I bought a valve cover gasket, and pulled the cover off to re-torque the head and barrels. Closed it back up, sealed the cover gasket and checked it out. Leaking like a seive.

So I figured the base gasket had to be changed. I bought a base gasket, head gasket, another valve cover gasket, a chain tensioner gasket and cam end plugs. Also new cam seat bolts, cause ya should when you pull the head. All Suzuki original, becasue I am anal like that, even though I know I can save money with aftermarket gaskets. Oh, did I mention I just did a valve adjustment and rebuilt the tensioner 3 months ago? So this is valve cover gasket #3 at $23.95 each.

Well, I pulled the cover off, and scraped the gasket surfaces. Friggin RTV is a real b!tch, but the book says to seal it, and I always follow the book. Next is to remove the tensioner to allow me to remove the cams. Hmm, that bottom bolt seems kinda slack, well, pull it off and what- the friggin gasket is torn, half of it is missing. Well, were do you think the leak is coming from? Sure looked like it was coming from the front of the block bottom... God dammit.

I had rebuilt the tensioner 3 months ago becasue it was leaking slightly. Well, I must have done a crappy job putting the bolts back through the tensioner body and tore the 'effin gasket.

Sooooo, what should have been a $2.95 gaskest and a half hour of labor was actually about 8 hours of gasket scraping and sealing, and almost $200 in parts, most of which are sitting on my bench, useless until I have another brain fart. I've had GS's for years, I know better. Always check the little things before the big things.

Tell me more about your leak! What is going on?
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

In the end, I drained the secondary gear box by opening the level plug and letting it drain for about 40 minutes. Most of the excess (almost a pint) drained off in about 15 minutes, but I let it drain just to be sure the gear box's oil level was spot on with the level plug. I also replaced the gasket on the plug with a new fiber washer from the hardware store.
          You say "in the end", but the machine still leaks, yes?
          Currently bikeless
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I did the secondary gear box drain routine back in April or May. Also, I ran a longer hose from the vent, through the starter drain hole, under the engine, and dang near back to the swingarm on the left side. I haven't had any leaking so far, so I assume I found the problem.

Comment

Thanks guys I'll check all of that. I replaced the pan gasket, I am gona replace the washer on the drain plug. I'll let ya know

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                Dude, I feel for ya. I just went through this. All I can say is make sure it's not the little things... read on...

I swore to friggin god I had a base gasket leak. I bought a valve cover gasket, and pulled the cover off to re-torque the head and barrels. Closed it back up, sealed the cover gasket and checked it out. Leaking like a seive.

So I figured the base gasket had to be changed. I bought a base gasket, head gasket, another valve cover gasket, a chain tensioner gasket and cam end plugs. Also new cam seat bolts, cause ya should when you pull the head. All Suzuki original, becasue I am anal like that, even though I know I can save money with aftermarket gaskets. Oh, did I mention I just did a valve adjustment and rebuilt the tensioner 3 months ago? So this is valve cover gasket #3 at $23.95 each.

Well, I pulled the cover off, and scraped the gasket surfaces. Friggin RTV is a real b!tch, but the book says to seal it, and I always follow the book. Next is to remove the tensioner to allow me to remove the cams. Hmm, that bottom bolt seems kinda slack, well, pull it off and what- the friggin gasket is torn, half of it is missing. Well, were do you think the leak is coming from? Sure looked like it was coming from the front of the block bottom... God dammit.

I had rebuilt the tensioner 3 months ago becasue it was leaking slightly. Well, I must have done a crappy job putting the bolts back through the tensioner body and tore the 'effin gasket.

Sooooo, what should have been a $2.95 gaskest and a half hour of labor was actually about 8 hours of gasket scraping and sealing, and almost $200 in parts, most of which are sitting on my bench, useless until I have another brain fart. I've had GS's for years, I know better. Always check the little things before the big things.

Tell me more about your leak! What is going on?

get stock fiber gaskets, with no sealer. easy peasy.

Comment

get stock fiber gaskets, with no sealer. easy peasy.
                  Um, Poot buddy, didn't I see a post of yours that said your valve cover gasket started leaking after you installed it?

I always use RTV like the book says. No leaks.
                  Currently bikeless

Comment

I got leaks after re-using stock fiber, and with silicone gasket. just got a fiber back, and all is well.

poot

Comment

Oh yeah, re-use would do it. Keep me posted on how it goes with no sealer.
                      Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                      X