Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what oil do i use to lubricate my chain ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what oil do i use to lubricate my chain ?

chain chain chain

i just use margarine...

no, all joke aside, i really like this white goopy stuff i use, stick to the chain like crazy glue and doesnt fling off like cheap chainlube does...

it's white chain lube made by france equipement, teflon keramik formula.

Comment

I use Maxima Chain Wax. Great Stuff. Make sure it's the WAX in the gold type can.

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT
        I use Maxima Chain Wax. Great Stuff. Make sure it's the WAX in the gold type can.
        Good stuff for O or X ring chain. Use WD-40 to clean the chain.

Comment

Stay away from PJ-1. It doesn't fling off, but it drys to a tacky film. Dirt sticks to it like glue.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

That depends on what kind of chain it is (O-ring or plain), where you use it (dirty or clean environment) and where it is stored (inside or outside). If you have an O-ring (or X-ring, same concept) chain and your bike is kept indoors you can use NOTHING to lube it. Simply keep it clean with WD-40 and don't worry. O-ring chains already have lube inside them and the lube outside is stricly for corrosion protection of the outside of the chain. I use nothing and my last chain was at 29,000km and counting when I sold that bike. It had went about 17,000km without even an adjustment, so there was deifinitely no premature wear issues.

Since sticky lube on the outside collects dirt, which causes abrasive wear on both your chain and sprockets, use a non-sticky product (I have heard lots of good things about the chain wax, but never tried it myself) to provide protection if your bike is stored outside in the weather.

Keep it adjusted on the loose side (2.5"-3" of total movement on the bottom chain run is OK) and keep it clean and you will get many miles out of a quality chain. It's not as hard as some people like to make it...

Mark

Comment

Make sure you don't soak the chain with WD40 though, just spray it on a rag and use that to clean the side plates.

Using nothing is the best. My chain was really smooth until I started using the PJ. once you start though, there is no turning back.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Comment

okay great

I guess ill go with maxima chain wax since my bike is stored out side.

Comment

I like the Maxima chain wax. I even made a topic about it.
                    I used to use PJ blue but it allows the o-rings to harden way before the life of the chain is over.
                    As stated earlier, make sure you get the gold can. Maxima also makes a clear synthetic chain lube (not a true wax) in the silver can. I also made a topic about that stuff. That stuff is an accident in a can.
                    I thought I'd try some because their wax was so good, I figured, hmmm, their synthetic must be even better. No!!! It flies off and coats everything. It went 2 full inches up the side of my tire and it even got on the other side and I lost 90% of my disc braking. On that first ride, I had to stop twice to wipe off the mess and try to clean my disc and it still threw a little more before I got home.
                    I don't know how the same company can make such a great product and such a terrible one. I asked myself, how could their research and development test and then pass this stuff!? 8O Unbelievable! I did, as I do with anything, apply it strictly according to their instructions.
                    I suppose it's possible they could make it better by now, but you won't see me testing it. Dangerous stuff! I still get mad over it.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

An "O" ring chain is lube sealed around the pins from the manufacturer, so you cannot lube the pins. All that is needed is rust prevententive and rubber lube for the "O" rings. I use Boeshield T-9. No sticky, no mess, no fling off.
                      Its a rubber lubricant, and water displacement compound. Its also high temperature stable.

Earl
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                      X