Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb inlet boots question.

I've ordered new ones from the bandit.

My rubber and aluminum separated on two and the other two had cracks. Now I was reading a thread where the poster said he had fixed his friend's boots with silicone. I was going to go this route. In fact I used Goop, my favorite silicone adhesive, and glued everything back together. Trouble is Goop is only rated for use up to 154 degrees F. Reckon the aluminum intake manifold gets a lot hotter than that. So rather than experiment with flaming or explosive carbs 8O 8O :x I went the new route.

Long intro...the questions: Has anyone repaired these parts with an adhesive? How long does it last? Guess I'll hang onto them and throw them in the 'worn out parts, but someday I might have a use for' box. BTW I can make you a great deal on a quantity buy of old NGK B8ES plugs.

I reattached a set with JB weld, seemed to work fine, didnt leak, I used a weight so it could cure with some pressure holding them together. it was just to diagnose a problem and have since replaced with new suzuki parts as k&l doesnt have a listing for those for my bike. shouldnt be any problems with heat at all with JB> and I know its fuel safe

Comment

BTW I can make you a great deal on a quantity buy of old NGK B8ES plugs.
      Hmmm, I reckon I'll trade you some "experienced" exhaust gaskets and 3 used throttle cables for some of them thar' plugs...
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Hey Jim:

Its david from harlan county. my wife sells mining equipment and the coal miners use a ^%$-load of this special thick rubber tape. it actually incoorporates into the exsisting rubber when it gets warm. (they use it to repair cracks in the underground power-lines which sometimes carry 40,000 volts!) i've used it for years to repair air-leaks on intake boots/collars, seats, seals etc. the stuff is really excellent. i don't know if it could solve any of your current problems but it is dandy to have around. let me know if you are interested. by the way: if you watched the lex. news today---the two boys that got trapped in the mines were friends; one has been recovered (deceased) and the other (Russell Cole) has yet to come out. lots of tears here.

see ya: david

Comment

RTV turns to jelly in the presence of gasoline and will not last long. Probably best to bite the bullet and get replacement boots.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I used some 2 part epoxy one time as a get me by till I get some. They had seperated just like yours. It held for the 3 weeks it took me to find, order, and install the new ones.

Comment

Working...
            X