Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer compatibility

Hello all,

I'm the new owner of a '79 GS550E. It's a great bike but the speedometer isn't working well; the needle moves very slowly even under hard acceleration. I suspect it's fairly accurate once the bike has been moving at a steady speed for a while but it's useless around town. The tripometer seems to be unreliable as well; one day it registered 125 mi. about 1/2 hour after I reset it, and I know I wasn't riding that fast.

I can pick up a speedo from a '79 gs425 fairly cheap and was wondering if it would be compatible. I assume this has to do with wheel/ tire size, but I'm no mechanic (and I can't seem to find the specs for both models on the web).

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    JBD

Take a look at the parts at http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm
    You might be better off with 750 gauges, I believe they're a closer match.
    Be careful. Suzuki changed a lot of little things between similar models.

Terry

Comment

Before you replace it, try a bit of TLC. Pull the inner cable to thoroughly clean and lube it first. Be sure to inspect it, too. If that doesn't cure the ailment, try turning the speedometer over and putting a few drops of light oil into the opening for the cable end.

Comment

speedos

unless your concerned about a few mph-- i've used 20yr old yama's on 10yr..old suzi's. there fairly close at LEGAL speeds...but i could be wrong....

Comment

Working...
        X