Chain adjustment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain adjustment...

I do not want to spend the $75.00 that I was charged the laast time I had the chain adjusted. It looks like such a simple task, but that attitude has gotten me in trouble before.

Does someone know of a link or mabey post a reply with some step by step info.

My bike is a GS1100E, 1983

Thank you for any help

Do a google search for "motorcycle chain adjustment" for the basics of loosening the axle nut, etc.

Tips - On a worn chain, find the tight spot if any and adjust when the chain is at it's tightest spot. A chain in decent condition won't have tight spots. Factor in that the chain might tighten when you sit on the bike and compress the rear suspension. After adjustment sit on the bike (motor off!) reach down and wiggle the chain up and down, should be approx. 1/2 to 1 in. of movement. Repeat while bouncing gently on the seat. If the chain tightens while bouncing it is probably too tight. Be sure the rear wheel is aligned perfectly using the index marks on the swing arm, which have been known to be inaccurate. Get your eyeball down by the rear sprocket and sight along the sprocket and upper half of the chain (the half returning to the engine sprocket). A more precise method of alignment is to use a long 2x4 and touch the front tire in two places and the rear tire in two places (using the 2in. edge of the 2x4). Some guys have measured their index marks carefully and corrected them if needed.

Getting the alignment wrong or having the chain improperly adjusted is a health and saftey hazard to both yourself and your bike. On the other hand it's not that hard to do and is worth learning to save some dough.

Comment

Re: Chain adjustment...

Originally posted by DavidLSI
      I do not want to spend the $75.00 that I was charged the laast time I had the chain adjusted. It looks like such a simple task, but that attitude has gotten me in trouble before.

Does someone know of a link or mabey post a reply with some step by step info.

My bike is a GS1100E, 1983

Thank you for any help
      Buy a workshop manual! It'll save you a fortune in the long run!

Comment

Did the mechanic at least have the decency to stick a gun in your face when he asked for $75
        It is really not that hard a task at all. Use a manual or read how it is done online, after you do it once or twice it will seem old hat.

Comment

Working...
        X