Side Panel Retention Methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Panel Retention Methods

Last week I had the left side panel fall off while riding. It had only one stud remaining and that one finally let go. I managed to catch the panel and pull over (it got caught between my leg and the cases), so at least I still have the panel, but my bike looks terrible with that gaping hole... :?

I am thinking of using a couple of 1/4 turn Dzus fasteners on each panel to permanently solve this issue, but wanted some other input first.

What have people done to solve the busted post problem? Any comments on the Dzus fastener approach?

Thanks,
    Mark

Drill a small (6mm) hole in the top and bottom edge of the side panels and use a couple of cable ties to secure it.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
      Drill a small (6mm) hole in the top and bottom edge of the side panels and use a couple of cable ties to secure it.
      That's what was done to mine and it is pretty minimal for noticing.
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

My tabs were all broken off, so I mounted a bolt where the big pin is supposed to go and drilled a big hole right through the face of the panel. Then I used a plastic thumbwheel with a thread on the back. It sounds like crap, but I think it looks pretty trick. and my covers will never come off unless I want them to, and then it's easy to get em off.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

i have 2 systems on 2 different bikes:

ratt bike: drilled holes and tied them up with zipties under the seat

monster bike: drilled holes and using small bungie cords to hold them in.

Comment

Working...
          X