Need Help with Chain Tonight!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help with Chain Tonight!!!!!

I'm changing the chain and sprockets on my 83 1100. The guy I ordered my goodies from didn't get me a clip style master link, but a rivet link instead. He loaned me a chain tool, which I figured out how to press the plate on with. But how do I peen the rivets on it? The chain tool has a recessed hole on the far side of the screw and plate, which I figured was the ticket, so I pressed the end of the rivet in there really hard, but it didn't seem to make a difference (that I could see anyway). Does anyone know what I should do?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

I wish I could help more, but I've never done it. Based on the instructions at the links below, it looks like the tool just squeezes it like a mini vice, or you can use a hammer if you have something behind it so it doesn't move when you hit it - that makes the force of the hit spread the rivet...

Good luck

"Staking the pins on the master link is the most critical part of this whole project. This must be done correctly to avoid having the chain come apart when riding. A specialized motorcycle chain rivet tool must be used for this job. Our Motion Pro kit had just the right attachments, but it's design is a bit clumsy, and we had to use what seemed like an enormous amount of pressure to get the pins to stake correctly; in fact, we broke the knurled handle on the tool (see photo). "

Motorcycle Repair Information on Your Rear Chain and Sprockets.

"Rivet links need a chain riveter. At least that's the easiest way. You can also ping the rivet end over with a punch and hammer if you back up the master link with a big sledge hammer or piece of heavy metal. "

"Some connecting links are riveted types and will require a chain rivet tool to mushroom the connecting link heads, although a steady mechanic can use a ball peen hammer and a block of wood for a back-up to peen the connecting link posts "

Comment

SHAFTIES RULE!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Just use a Punch, its simple, the days of clip links are comming to a end, but it really is as simple as punching the link wholes, make sure you use some clamps to hold the link in place and give em a whack

Comment

A friggin hammer? Holy moley, those pins are carbon steel- you can really mash them with a hammer?
          Currently bikeless
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Ball Peen Hammer.

Comment

Guess I'll give it a shot.
              Currently bikeless

Comment

Does the driver have the reservible piece to crimp down?

I sent you a pm earlier, just checking.
                I was out changing the oil in the S, figured I'd check back.
                Keith
                -------------------------------------------
                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I don't know. This is what I have. Do I use the recess in the far side of the press to mash the pins with?

Currently bikeless

Comment

yes
                    Keith
                    -------------------------------------------
                    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                    X