click

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

click

Hi everyone, on my 82 gs1100 I noticed that I am keeping my finger longer on the starter button to make it start, or it is taking few time to catch on, but yesterday, it started like the battery was dead, which was not dead, engine being cold, the bike instaled, after that when I pushed the starter button it only clicks and nothing happens, I checked the battery it is good. Any Ideas? where to start looking for?

ard

did you load test the battery? or just test for voltage. sometimes a battery will readabove 12 volts until you put a load on it, when it goes down to 11 or less. I'm not sure how to test this without a load tester. Maybe you should hold the voltometer on while you try to start the bike and see what happens to the reading.

Comment

Both my GS's have had to have the starter button itself overhauled. Take it apart and clean the contacts. Make sure the ground isn't corroded too.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Hi Jethro, long time no talk, I dont think it is the button, because if I push the button, it makes the relay click. so it means it is doind what it should do I guess.

ard

Comment

With the bike in neutral, take a screw driver and carefully touch across the two large terminals on the relay. If the starter motor turns over, the relay is not making contact and needs to be replaced. It may be clicking but still not making internal contact.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
            With the bike in neutral, take a screw driver and carefully touch across the two large terminals on the relay. If the starter motor turns over, the relay is not making contact and needs to be replaced. It may be clicking but still not making internal contact.

Hap
            Exactly.

The 650 had symptoms you described this weekend when I went to start it. Jumped the two terminals with a screwdriver and the starter cranked. Went for my ride, when I returned I shut it off and pressed the starter button, this time the relay worked correctly. I'm going to be getting a new relay soon to have on hand for when it finally gives up the ghost entirely.

Amos

ps I had to crank it a little bit longer as it had been a couple of weeks since my last ride, so this probably contributed to the relay ending up not making the contact it needed to. *thumps self on head* Only couple seconds on the start button at a shot next time dummy.. (said to self, not to you).

Comment

Shaunt, both my bikes clicked like the battery was low or what. It sounded just like a bad solinoid, but the contacts were just dirty.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                Shaunt, both my bikes clicked like the battery was low or what. It sounded just like a bad solinoid, but the contacts were just dirty.

Hi Jethro, so if the button is clicking, what wires should I look to clean?

Comment

Working...
                X