1982 GS1100 engine re-assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100 engine re-assembly

1982 GS1100G.....Had oil leak at cylinder base...removed cylinder base, don't recall any o-rings around cylinder skirts, and the new gasket set did'nt come with any, but "Bikebandit" shows o-rings on cylinder skirts....
    and the "Clymer" manual shows removal and inspection, but not re-installation procedure. Anybody done this before? Broke a new ring on #1 cylinder trying to get cylinder on, now waiting on new ring set (almost had it!!!!), Any tips would be appreciated as far a any sealants or anything else we should do.....seems there was a film of silvery liquid that I cleaned off, don't know whats up with that Do I need more of this stuff, or just put it together with the new gaskets? Can't really identify this motorcycle....the side plate says "GS1100G", but is it a 1100G, GZ, GK, GLZ or what....called Suzuki with VIN, they could'nt tell me either...I know there is a difference between 1981 and 1982, as wrong gasket set was ordered....HELP>>>>>>

Re: 1982 GS1100 engine re-assembly

Originally posted by b717doc
    1982 GS1100G.....Had oil leak at cylinder base...removed cylinder base, don't recall any o-rings around cylinder skirts, and the new gasket set did'nt come with any, but "Bikebandit" shows o-rings on cylinder skirts....
    and the "Clymer" manual shows removal and inspection, but not re-installation procedure. Anybody done this before? Broke a new ring on #1 cylinder trying to get cylinder on, now waiting on new ring set (almost had it!!!!), Any tips would be appreciated as far a any sealants or anything else we should do.....seems there was a film of silvery liquid that I cleaned off, don't know whats up with that Do I need more of this stuff, or just put it together with the new gaskets? Can't really identify this motorcycle....the side plate says "GS1100G", but is it a 1100G, GZ, GK, GLZ or what....called Suzuki with VIN, they could'nt tell me either...I know there is a difference between 1981 and 1982, as wrong gasket set was ordered....HELP>>>>>>
    I don't know about the "G" but the ES's do not have an o-ring on the base gasket. You need to make sure that you check the new rings for the proper end gap before you install them cause if they are too tight you want be able to ride very far (-:. It takes a lot of patience and practice to install the cylinder's. I use modified hose clamps and they work great for me. I can do it all by myself and it only takes a little time and no broken rings (-:

Comment

Actually the 16 valve motors have them, Item #6:

I'm not sure about the 8 valve motor, but on the 16-valve motor there is a groove that the o-ring goes into. First, with the cylinders inverted, remove the old o-ring using either a scribe or some other sharp slender object. Next, lube the o-ring and with the cylinder still inverted, slide it down around the outside of the cylinder liner. Do not roll it as it may tend to get twisted. Gently poke the new o-ring back into the groove. Repeat on the other three cylinders.

Evidently the GS1000G had the same o-ring, #5 in this drawing:

Here is the drawing for your bike...notice no large o-ring:

Comment

So I dont need the o-rings.....I don't remember pulling any off.....Thanks, will update when new rings arrive....

Comment

O-Rings

Hap, I've put a lot of these motors together and did not put the O-rings on. What purpose do they serve? I know they put them there for something but what?

Most of my motors are big bore aftermarket stuff...

Jgordon

Comment

Re: O-Rings

Originally posted by jgordon
            Hap, I've put a lot of these motors together and did not put the O-rings on. What purpose do they serve? I know they put them there for something but what?
            I wish I knew! I've often wondered what their purpose is. I replace them everytime I rebuild but I'm not sure what they really seal. I figure if Suzuki thought they were important enough to put there, then I better pay attention to them!

Hap

Comment

Working...
            X