My coil mod OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My coil mod OK?

After going though quite a bit of electrical trouble shooting ( new stator, rectifier\regulator\battery and cleaning up various wiring I had a bike that was running on two cylinders 3 & 4. Found the cables going to the plugs were not the same as in the manual (Been like this since I've owned it). After changing the layout per the manual I had 1, 2 & 3 firing. (check was heat from the exhust header). Remade connection to both plug caps from the left coil ( cyl 1 & 4 I think) and swapped wires (wire 1 to 4 and wire 4 to 1) I figure this should not matter since both cables come from the same coil, right? Now the exhust from #4 gets warm, not as burning hot as the other 3 though. The road test of my 82 GS1100GK was great, the bike has never ran so well. Fixed I hope! During my trouble shooting I found the voltage levels on the + side termals of both coils were low, 11.2 & 11.7 v. I spliced into the return wire from the kill switch and ran it to both supply terminals. This is a swithed 12 volts and shuts off with the key or the kill switch. My question is can the switch handle the current flow through it? The orignal wires supplying the coils are very thin, I really doubt I need a separate fused source from the battery via a relay to the coils?? If so I will use the return kill switch votage to control the relay. I've rode the bike probably 50 miles with no problem so far. Thanks for all of the great help that was all ready provided. I was going through the same stator \ regulator \ ignition problems that several others were going through, I never had to make a post to get good information to help me through this process reading the replys from the other posts answered all of my questions.

Re: My coil mod OK?

I wouldnt worry about running your coil voltage through the switch. I've had mine running that way for a couple years and its never been a problem. I have heavy duty wires even installed and all has been well.

Earl

Originally posted by dude
    After going though quite a bit of electrical trouble shooting ( new stator, rectifier\regulator\battery and cleaning up various wiring I had a bike that was running on two cylinders 3 & 4. Found the cables going to the plugs were not the same as in the manual (Been like this since I've owned it). After changing the layout per the manual I had 1, 2 & 3 firing. (check was heat from the exhust header). Remade connection to both plug caps from the left coil ( cyl 1 & 4 I think) and swapped wires (wire 1 to 4 and wire 4 to 1) I figure this should not matter since both cables come from the same coil, right? Now the exhust from #4 gets warm, not as burning hot as the other 3 though. The road test of my 82 GS1100GK was great, the bike has never ran so well. Fixed I hope! During my trouble shooting I found the voltage levels on the + side termals of both coils were low, 11.2 & 11.7 v. I spliced into the return wire from the kill switch and ran it to both supply terminals. This is a swithed 12 volts and shuts off with the key or the kill switch. My question is can the switch handle the current flow through it? The orignal wires supplying the coils are very thin, I really doubt I need a separate fused source from the battery via a relay to the coils?? If so I will use the return kill switch votage to control the relay. I've rode the bike probably 50 miles with no problem so far. Thanks for all of the great help that was all ready provided. I was going through the same stator \ regulator \ ignition problems that several others were going through, I never had to make a post to get good information to help me through this process reading the replys from the other posts answered all of my questions.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
      I wouldnt worry about running your coil voltage through the switch. I've had mine running that way for a couple years and its never been a problem. I have heavy duty wires even installed and all has been well.

Earl

Thanks Earl! I'm happy I don't need to revisit my wiring. Also thanks for all of your answers to the previous posts that others had regarding trouble shooting the electrical systems. I was having the same charging and ignition problems that others in this forum were \ are having. I plan on getting a new set of coils and swap them out when I address my gas tank problems (PRI & reserve seem to have flow obstruction).

Comment

:-)

Earl

Thanks Earl! I'm happy I don't need to revisit my wiring. Also thanks for all of your answers to the previous posts that others had regarding trouble shooting the electrical systems. I was having the same charging and ignition problems that others in this forum were \ are having. I plan on getting a new set of coils and swap them out when I address my gas tank problems (PRI & reserve seem to have flow obstruction).
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
        X