Anybody try Kenda tires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody try Kenda tires.

I know they are cheap, but thier dual sport "trackmasters" are a better tire then a lot of name brands costing twice as much. They (Kenda) are very popular with dual-sport riders.

Has anyone tried the Kenda "Sport Challenger" tires. I have herd bad things about other low cost tires (Chin Shin, etc...) but havn't herd a thing, god or bad about the kendas. Any experiences?

Here's an old review of some dual sport tires.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Please let me know if you can find a source for dual sport tires that will fit our bikes (18" front and back right?). I would like a set on my GS400 as it really wanders on gravel and stones toss the bike around more than I would expect.

Steve

Comment

Some of the Cheng Shin tires are okay. I ran a matched set(front and back) of Cheng Shin Marquis on my 77 GS550. They seemed to get pretty good traction on pavement and gravel. They handled pretty well when the pavement was wet also. I liked the tread design, and it seemed to be pretty meaty. My 83 850 has a matched set of Dunlop. The front is the F11 and the rear is the D627. Their tread design is very similar to the Cheng Shin Marquis. I went with the CS on my 550 becuase I could get them cheaper than the Dunlop.

As for wandering on gravel, a lighter bike is going to wander more than a heavier bike, especially when you factor in speeds. I used to have to ride on 3 miles of gravel to hit pavement. Stick to one of the main tire tracks. Eventually they get beat down as smooth as pavement(till the county road grader comes along).

Comment

I bought a Kenda Challenger rear tire on eBay real cheap recently. It performed very well. No traction problems, wet or dry. Trouble was that it didn't last long -- about 4,000 miles. The Dunlop K491 rear gets double that mileage, plus.

It was worth a try, but I don't think I'll get another Kenda again. It just doesn't pay to have to replace it after such short mileage. It's bad economy.

Nick

Comment

It was worth a try, but I don't think I'll get another Kenda again. It just doesn't pay to have to replace it after such short mileage. It's bad economy.

Nick[/quote]

True

Comment

kenda

I just put a Kenda on my 850.. Topoks a lot of weights to balance it. I believe they're safe.. and I only paid $35 for it.. But for a bike you're gonna put a lot of miles on.. you may want to get something better.. I always had a lotta luck with bridgestone spitfiles// Love the metzlers.. but hated the price.. If economy is your main concern.. go Kenda/Chen Shing.. especially if you don't do that many miles...

Comment

I put a set of Kenda Challengers on this summer. They seem to work good , plenty of traction . but i only put 1500 miles on them so i dont know how long they will last.

Mike

Comment

In ten years of ownership I've used Cheng-Shin tires, IRCs, Kenda-Challengers (front wheel only) and an expensive set of Avon Vipers on my 550. Best value for money...Cheng-Shins, I just don't play road racer in the rain! Kenda doesn't make a Challenger that fits an '80 550L rear wheel (120x17). Front wheel seemed to lack a bit of stability with the Kenda. Avons handled great front and rear but I had a bit of trouble with them losing air. IRCs were great front and rear but a bit on the pricey side for an econo brand. Chengs on the bike right now, the Marquis tread design.

Comment

Working...
                X