Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumb question about GS1100E and LOUDNESS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb question about GS1100E and LOUDNESS?

I have a 1983 GS1100E which has 11,000 miles on it and runs great. I was thinking about some aftermarket exhaust pipes to get some MORE SOUND out of this silent screamer. Most (Vance Hines, etc.), are 4 into 1 rather than the stock 4 into 2 whch I like, and most aftermarket pipes are chrome or other rather than the black chrome of the stock pipes, which I also like. Aftermarket slip-on cans may also an option, but are not as good looking as the stock pipes, in my opinion.

Then I asked myself..."What if I just gut the stock mufflers?!" Can I simply drill out the rear openings of the stock megaphones with a properly sized hole saw and yank the internals out to get LOUD easily and cheaply? I anticipate having to re-jet, but I WANT the NOISE and extra power. Any thoughts or experience with this or advice would be appreciated! Thanx in advance!

i usually just take a steel rod and wack out the washer that is welded into most exhaust systems. then i would select a drill bit and make a few nicely placed holes around the muffler outlet if there is a place to drill. As long as you are willing to fool with jetting then cutting off the ends of the mufflers to see what the results are is another option. Possibly, there may be rivets that when drilled out will allow you to remove the guts. we did this on the kz 1300kawa and then re installed the end piece without any guts at all.
    If you are willing to mess with jetting then just go for it and enjoy the money pit

Comment

Jeez, how nice is your stock exhaust? I'll gladly send you a nice V&H header and D&D can in trade...
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Noise does not equal power.

Are you trying to get better sound, no just noise?
        Or do you want more power also?

My stock GS1100E, 1982 has plenty of power.
        The 1000S with the 4>1, not "loud", but is jetted and has plenty of power.

WHat are you trying to get? Power or noise?
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Here is what he said as i see it--wants louder pipes. some of us really like loud bikes,

"to get some MORE SOUND out of this silent screamer"

Comment

I've got an '81 GS850l that is louder than most Harley's I encounter. The PO installed screaming eagle pipes and she definitely roars! I am not sure if he rejetted the carbs, but she does have good power and runs good too.

Comment

There's nothing you can do to 4 into 2 exaust that will make it sound anything like a 4 into 1. If you just want more noise, get a drill the size of the five little holes on the back of your stock pipes and drill out these little holes, on both sides, as deep as the drill will go. This will make it noticably louder, but if you want that wonderful buzzzz of a 4 into 1, you'll have to get a 4 into 1
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Loudness decision

Many thanks to all who replied!
                It was so unusually warm here in MT this AM (59 deg.) that I took a before dawn ride. Something that's geting harder and harder to get away with as winter approaches.
                I've decided that I'm going with a 4 into 1 and a can to get the sound I want. More power is not the issue with this bike. I think I'll also keep the stock exhaust in case I ever want to go back to stock. Thanks for your input and offers!

Comment

Sounds like the best idea, to me.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                  X