GS250T I think it broken. HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS250T I think it broken. HELP!!!

Hi all, out riding on my 1980 GS250T, all of a sudden lost power and noticed lots of white smoke coming out the back, stopped to find oil all over the back half of the bike seemed to be pouring out.
    Got the bike home filled up the oil and had a go at turning it over, no noise out of the ordinary and it did start on one pot, but lots of smoke coming from the airbox via the breather pipe. I had checked the spark plug on the dead side and it looked OK, bit dark, but not covered in oil. Anyone got any ideas .
    MartyC

Bummer! Have you checked for compression? I saw an old Honda CB-350 do this once and it was a holed piston. Hope this is not your problem!

Comment

My piston rings once broke on my Honda XL-175 while cruising on the freeway back in '74 and all 3 lanes behind me were suddenly lost in the smoke screen. The bike still ran though! Sounds like either rings or a holed piston. Check compression and see what gives. If it turns out you have to pull the engine and yank the cylinders, be sure to stuff lots of rags around the rods as the jugs come up. If the rings went on you there are going to be lots of little pieces falling out when the cylinders come off.

Comment

It does seem to be a hole in a piston , I have managed to find a breaker with two GSX engines one with only 10 thou on it , he will let me have them both for ?100 :? . Straight swap and away I go. Fingers crossed.
        MartyC

Comment

It does seem to be a hole in a piston , I have managed to find a breaker with two GSX engines one with only 10 thou on it , he will let me have them both for ?100 :? . Straight swap and away I go. Fingers crossed.
          MartyC

Comment

MartyC

Comment

Keep us informed Marty. Sorry to hear it wasn't something simple

Comment

Working...
              X